AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Elite 720HD and today it won't power on. It stays in standby mode. When I turn on the main power for an instant it powers up, then "trips" off again and stays in standby mode. The only other problem I recently noticed was that it seemed to have problems holding convergence, and had to be reset regularly. Other than that, and the power issue that just happened, it's been an excellent performer.

What could it be, and what reputable service people are located in Orange County California?

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzzy007 /forum/post/14345080

I've got an Elite 720HD and today it won't power on. It stays in standby mode. When I turn on the main power for an instant it powers up, then "trips" off again and stays in standby mode. The only other problem I recently noticed was that it seemed to have problems holding convergence, and had to be reset regularly. Other than that, and the power issue that just happened, it's been an excellent performer.

What could it be, and what reputable service people are located in Orange County California?

Thanks for any help...

See the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread here & talk to it's author, Robert Jones (aka Mr Bob). AVS Forum's regular CRT guru for repair/calibration. Years of exp on the Pro Elite's I believe.

He's located in the SF Bay area, but does travel all over. At worst, he might be able to give you an idea of what you are looking at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 /forum/post/14345750

See the "Don't Dump Your CRT RPTV" thread here & talk to it's author, Robert Jones (aka Mr Bob). AVS Forum's regular CRT guru for repair/calibration. Years of exp on the Pro Elite's I believe.

He's located in the SF Bay area, but does travel all over. At worst, he might be able to give you an idea of what you are looking at.

Thanks Jwebb...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Took off the back cover, thought maybe it was one of the fuses blown. The 10amp 250 volt one is white/opaque (it's a ceramic fuse) and tried replacing that - no difference.

After researching and having a repair guy come out, we got it working again just by tapping on the various components (with it plugged in) using the plastic end of a screwdriver. Seems it was a loose connection on the power board somewhere - maybe the big transformer there.

From what I could gather, step 1 is to identify the problem circuit board. Could be the power board, or one of the other ones. I’m not sure how to do this other than the tapping method described above. If you have the right testing equipment you can probably identify it more precisely.

Once you know the board that is problematic, you can either 1) buy a new replacement board (if it’s available) or 2) try to re-solder the bad connections.

Obviously look for blown fuses and other easy stuff first. If you’re doing anything in the back of the TV, remember that it has very high voltages and will retain a charge in the capacitors even when unplugged. Make sure to tap the components with a non-conducting material – preferably something all wooden like a drumstick.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to contact Robert Jones (Mr. Bob) if you need assistance and don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. When they say he travels they aren't kidding. He repaired my Elite in Missouri.

·
Registered
858 Posts
To add what has been said here, it sounds like a shorted power supply board, or you are impacted by a cold solder joint problem which is epidemic on nearly all Pioneer Elite PRO series TVs.

Mr. bob can resolder your board for under $300 if you take it out and send it to him, which is a good deal considering the fine hand that is needed to do the job properly.

Ray

1 - 6 of 6 Posts