Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike,

If you expect to watch a lot of NTSC sources (cable, DSS, OTA), you'll want a good line doubler. The Elite's built-in line doubler is excellent, but you'd need to add an external doubler (Silicon Image iScan Pro) to the Mits, as its built-in line doubler isn't that great. Once you add the cost of the iScan, the cost of the two are about equal. They're both excellent sets, and the two I would consider if I was buying today. I have an Elite 510HD (you're getting a much better price than I did) and am very happy with the set, and would make the same purchase decision today. The Mits is an excellent set too, and there are perfectly valid reasons to prefer it to the Pioneer.

You don't have to buy the Pioneer HD tuner. The DTC-100 you mentioned will work, and costs over $1000 less than the OTA-only Pioneer. The DTC-100 is an HD DirecTV receiver and an OTA (terrestrial) HD receiver. I am a Dish Network subscriber, so I have the Dish 6000, which cost me $550 including OTA tuner.

If you look around, you'll see that most HD-capable TVs do not include the tuner. The retail price of the Pioneer Tuner is $2400, so I'm glad it was sold separately. Lots of people either can't receive any OTA HDTV, or very little, so the tuner would be little use to them. If you can get CBS in HD today at your home, consider yourself fortunate. I've never heard a convincing argument why the Pioneer tuner is worth thousands more than a DTC-100 or Dish 6000.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Pioneer is worth the money just for the superior cabinet work. I have had mine for nine months and would buy it again. I also have the DTC-100. It works great and has no compatibility issues. Some of the newer boxes may be better but I have no first-hand experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mike, I was in the same situation last year while searching for the right HDTV.

I purchased the Mitsubishi WS 55907 and went through a lot of trouble trying to improve the picture quality. I purchased a DVDO doubler and was still disappointed. I had the full ISF treatment and still wasn't pleased. I ended up returning the DVDO and the Mits set and spending more for the Pioneer Elite 510. I know I sound like a Pioneer Company plant but I am not.

I simply wanted the best HDTV ready set I could buy at the time. I considering the next 5 years. I knew my spouse would not permit a new TV in another 3-5 years so I couldn't settle on the Mitsubishi.

I am so glad I ended up with the Elite. The picture quality is outstanding and the 2 year warranty is great too. I recently had a well known "pincushion" problem with my Elite and Pioneer had it fixed in 5 days. This problem does not exist on the newer Elite sets. I believe Pioneer Elite 510 picture quality to be reference for all RPTVs today. The other one to consider may be Zenith's line but they include the HD tuner and you will pay about $1500 more that way.

Good luck,

------------------

David

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am in the process of researching HDTV's for the new home I will be moving into in the middle of June. I am a complete novice when it comes to HT. I have been reading a number of threads on this forum as well as reviews on www.audioreview.com to gain some knowledge on the subject.

The two HDTV's I have been looking at are the Pioneer Elite PRO-510HD and Diamond Series Mitsubishi WS-55907. I have seen both of these TV's in person and am impressed with both. I prefer the Pioneer but it costs more money. The best price I have seen so far on these products are $4500 for the Pioneer and $3700 on the Mitsu. I was wondering if anybody can give me their opinions and/or experiences with these two TV's? Is the Pioneer worth the extra $800 and why do you think so?

Some other questions I have, regard the digital tuner required to receive HD. I see the Pioneer needs the SH-D09 DTV Tuner to receive true HD. Why isn't the Tuner built inside the box already? Will the RCA DTC-100 Receiver box work with the corresponding RCA HD Satellite dish on these TV's? Will the SH-D09 Tuner work in place of the RCA DTC-100 receiver box? If so, is it worth the extra money over the RCA?

I know it's a lot of questions gang, but I am looking for the best solution at an economical price. I've talked to some salesmen in the Retail outlets and just don't feel they have my best interest at heart. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Thank you very much for your responses in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you all for responding. I have wanted the Elite from the beginning and am pretty sure that is the set I will be purchasing. After doing some more reading, I have found that the Pioneer DV-37 Progrssive Scan DVD player I was going to get, may not get me a better picture with the Elite because of it's already built-in 3:2 pull down line doubler. Is this correct? If so, which DVD player would you recommend to compliment this HDTV. I am looking to spend somewhere around $700 for the DVD player.

Thanks again in advance...

Mike

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
This thread puts my mind at rest! I have been browsing HDTVs for awhile now. My pre-disposition is for the Pioneer Elite, chiefly because of the SUPERIOR picture that I get on my current Elite 1009W. It is a 16:9 widescreen, but not an HDTV (darn!); however, I would swear that its picture still outdoes most of the RP HDTVs that I have seen out there.

I had been wondering why I never see more good stuff about the Elites. Is it the steep price tag? Does that cause most people to not even consider it?

Another note: I have heard from various sources, including the people trying to sell them, that the Pioneer plug-ins have a lot of trouble with OTA signals. The DTC100 seems to be the preferred choice.

Needless to say, like an earlier poster I am still somewhat constrained by the fact that I purchased the last Elite only 2.5 years ago. Getting the HDTV at this point might not be seen as "prudent" by certain interested onlookers.... However, the quality, price and content can only get better: or at least that's what I keep telling myself (sniff!).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mike: re dvd player, check out the 'chroma upsampling bug' thread in the 'dvd' area...you are correct in that a progressive dvd player with 3:2 will give you a better picture on a progresssive capable set

·
Registered
98 Posts
My position on choosing a DVD player for use with any Pioneer Elite RPTV:

Get the best Progressive DVD player you can afford. You will benefit more from a high quality DVD player because you have a high quality display.

I cannot answer this question from a very technical point of view but I can say that I am much more picky about my equipment since purchasing my Elite TV. I want my components to push that Elite to perform at its higher level. I think that some TVs may limit how good your picture quality will ever be.

I own the Denon 38A DVD player. I can see the upsampling problem very clearly while watching TS2 on the Elite. I searched throughout the web for a better Progressive DVD player and I could not find any consensus answer. Well, there was one..Camelot. The Camelot P-DVD player is about $6,000 so it is out of the question. I think there will be a lot more to choose from over the next 12 months and I actually recommend waiting for all the the current issues to clear up.

David

------------------

David

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the Pioneer Elite 610 and have been very happy. Have the Pioneer DV-37 DVD player and have been quite happy with it as well! To round things off, got the Hughes E86 a couple of weeks back. Still getting used to everything, but the HD and SDTV looks pretty good. I'm having a problem with the analog NTSC signals through the Hughes (colors over saturated, flesh tones kind of have a silvery reflection). This happens in HD setting on the Hughes (upsampled to 1080i over component cables) and in SD setting (480i over composite). Been trouble shooting for a few days now and can't figure it out. HAve the Anthem AVM-2 pre-pro and Anthem MCA-5 amp. Have bypassed the pre/pro and the problem remains.

·
Registered
349 Posts
You'll not be disappointed with the Elite. I've had mine since late '99 and it works fantastically. Also have the SH-D09 internal tuner. The integration is great and the internal wireing makes it so that you do not need to use another of the 510's inputs. Switching from OTA HDTV to NTSC is a one button operation. Channel surfing is preserved!

Hope this helps,

------------------

Fred

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks again everybody for the comments. I am pretty sure that I am going to get the 510...I'm just not sure which DVD player to get with it. I have read so much about the chroma upsampling problem that I'm afraid to get any of them. It seems the only pro-scan DVD player that's not having this problem is the Camelot and it's going for over $4,000. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Maybe I should just wait until they get this problem ironed out. Has anybody heard if the Denon 2800 is out on the market yet?

Thanks again,

Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.