AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am new to plasma technology and in reading some threads I see break-in mentioned. I am in the process of getting the Elite 940 and am curious as to the so called break-in of the set. Please explain what this break-in refers to, do's and don'ts during this period, settings, etc. Help---I don't want to make a mistake early on. Thanks

·
Registered
2,692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowmattie /forum/post/0

Can anybody help?

Plasma phosphors have an exponential wear rate, where the wear is much faster early on compared to later in the life cycle. The idea behind breakin is to reduce the pictures overall brightness and cause an even wear across all of your plasma's phosphors for the first 100-300 hours of use, (some say 100 is sufficient, some are more conservative and do up to 300 for good measures). Once beyond the breakin point, your phosphor wear is much slower so your set can handle variation in viewing more often, (such as gaming with static images/tv logos/static images/etc). For the breakin period, you want to make sure to watch everything full screen, and without static images, (logos). Also minimize the amount of gaming you do if you are a gamer, as HUDS/etc have a potential to cause IR.

Here is a link to D-Nices breakin thread, which should have your pioneer model in there, along with settings for the breakin period: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=731242

·
Registered
558 Posts
This thread has lots of info and a link to the burn-in DVD mentioned a lot of the forum. I have a Pro 1140 and cranked back the contrast to the 30's and negative numbers on the brightness, put on the DVD and let it run for 100 something hours. It was easy for me to do since I didn't yet have an HD source where this set was going to go so I just left it in the bottom part of the shipping box with a player hooked up while I waited on D* to bring a new box. Other people just watch a bunch of DiscoveryHD since it is wide screen with no logos. I don't game, but my kids do watch the children channels with logos and I have yet to see any IR whatsoever, but then I don't go looking for it either.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=608677

EDIT ***Read the comments on page 26 of the thread dlconner linked to. There has been a change of opinion on contrast settings during break-in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.