Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all..

To make a long story short, while hooking up a new subwoofer I stepped on the mic that came with my Pioneer Elite receiver and tore the cord in half. I know...not exactly my brightest moment. Now I've got to find a replacement to set up the subwoofer. Will any mic do as a replacement or do I need to buy a new one from Pioneer? Is there anything special about the mic's that come with Pioneer's receivers? I tried my friend's mic(he's in a band) and could not get it to work. It was one of his cheap ones so I don't know yet if it was bad or if there is a problem with trying to use that type of mic.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Jon Scott

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Different mics have different frequency responses; even if you can get a non-Pioneer one to work, you're likely to get inaccurate results.

Can you just solder the wires back together, or is the damage more severe?

·
Registered
10,173 Posts
The mic was covered in another thread maybe within the last month in a discussion on the effectiveness of MCACC. If I remember the posts, the mic used has a large impact on the freq. EQ curve and that Pioneer has probably "calibrated" the EQ for the specific mic. Someone posted that he/she tried another mic and got terrible results. Bottom line: repairing or getting a Pioneer replacement seem to be your best options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've looked at repairing it where I work. The wires inside the cord are extremely fine and singling out which is the ground seemed to be pretty difficult. I didn't push the guy because I thought it would be easier to replace the mic. If it's been matched with the receiver...then it seems I would probably be better off trying to order a new one from Pioneer.

Jon

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yes, it is definitely matched to the receiver and no, another mike won't work (well, at least).

I know it sucks, but just go get a new one.

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.