AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Dedicated movie room with front projection and 7.1 surround.
223 Posts
Albert,

Yes, input 3 on the back of the Pio Elites can be either a standard S-video & composite input or with the flip of a switch on the back of the TV becomes the 15-pin input. I've sold numerous 10 & 20 series Elites with DTC100s and never had a problem. The only thing you'll have to do is change the raster centering settings in the DTC100.

Rob

·
Registered
223 Posts
Albert,

In one of the sub-menus in the DTC-100 setup, there's a setting you can adjust to change the raster centering. Essentially, out of the box, the DTC-100 is optimized for RCA and ProScan HD-Ready sets. This default setting causes the image to be slightly shifted to the side and also to look slightly tall. Early generations of the DTC-100 didn't look quite correct on the Elite sets, but after a software update, they can now be adjusted to accomdate most of the HD-Ready sets out there. After the change is made in the setup, you power down the DTC-100 and then power it back up and everything should look correct (centered with proper geometry). I'm going to see a customer with a DTC-100 and PRO710HD tomorrow morning (remote programming) and can check the exact settings if you like. We don't have a DTC-100 currently on display.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am thinking of buying a DTC100 maybe online maybe from ebay, should i be asking questions to see if the software is updated? and yes let me know the settings of your customer.

Thanks,

Albert

·
Registered
223 Posts
Albert,

The software update was implemented automatically by RCA via DirecTV. Chances are, as long as the DTC-100 in question was in operation sometime in the last 1-2 years, it's already been updated. I will get you the settings & what version you should check for tomorrow.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question, is the component input going to be better than using the RGB input? as far as picture detail is concerned. Is there a difference in one RGB cable's as far as price and performance?

Thanks,

Albert

·
Registered
223 Posts
Albert,

If you're going to go with the DTC-100, then you're better off staying with the 15 pin connection. Even if component was slightly better (and I'm not saying that it is), by the time you converted the DTC-100s 15pin output to component video, you would probably negate any benefit you might have achieved because of the conversion process. I've used a few different types of RGB to component convertors and wasn't impressed by the build quality of any of them.

As promised, here's the steps for adjusting the DTC-100 to work with the Pioneer Elites:

1. Push the menu button.

2. Select "Assistance"

3. Select "Monitor Setup"

4. Select "Retrace Timing"

5. Select "Short retrace (EIA 770.3 timing)

6. Select "Continue" (This pops up automatically after you select the retrace timing.

7. Turn the DTC-100 off.

8. Tunr the DTC-100 back on.

Raster centering should only be adjusted if necessary.

To check the version, follow steps #1 & #2 above.

3. Select "Upgrades"

4. Select "Past Upgrades"

It should say Version A05.10 dated sometime around 12/31/01

That should do it,

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Rob for the help, I was going to stop by a local Best Buy where they have an open box special on the RCA DTC100 but I didn't get a chance to stop. I'm curious you said you were going to see a customer with the Elite 710&DTC combo, How is the picture, is he/she happy with this combo?

Thanks again,

Albert

·
Registered
223 Posts
Albert,

The quality is ok, but keep in mind that the DTC-100 has been around for at least 2 years. It up-converts everything to 1080i and the quality of that process is only ok. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to talk you out of the DTC-100, it is a time tested and proven product, but I've seen better since. As a matter of fact, the reason I went to see that customer yesterday, was because he wanted a macro for HD through the DTC-100's RGB out and another macro to turn the HD output off so that the S-Video output would become active and allow the Elite to do the up-conversion. It did yield a better result that way. When he watches HD, he hits the HD macro and when he wants to watch regular satellite, he hits the DirecTV macro, works real well. If you have the opportunity, check out the Zenith DTV-1080. I have one on display hooked up to a Sharp XV9000 DLP on a Stewart 110" 16:9 screen and it looks great. Some of the best STB based up-conversion I've seen, and a much better selection of stretching/zooming modes than the DTC-100. One catch though, the DTV-1080 retails for around $900.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Rob I stopped buy Ultimate Electronics this afternoon and purchased the Hughes E86, I hope I did good every thing I have heard about the E86 is positive so wish me luck I'll pick it up Friday.

Albert

·
Registered
223 Posts
Albert,

Good luck then. If you have any questions, let me know.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Rob and Albert,

I have been following your communication about the Elites and STBs. I am in the same position as you Albert. My choices so far have come down to the DTC-100, Hughes E86, and possibly the Zenith 1080.

Rob, do you know of any stbs with both RGB and component outputs? Also, in your installation experience with HD through the RGB input have you had the need, and is there the capability, to adjust color and tint in the service menus? Presumably, if there are global settings in the service menu, you could use an HD signal genrator to display color bars and check and adjust color and tint if required.

Albert, let me know what you think of the Hughes E86.

Thanks guys.

Randal

·
Registered
39 Posts
Regarding Pioneer Elites and the DB-15 connection. You will NOT be able to adjust the color or tint in the user or service menus. Considering some of the red push issues, you may find that using the component connection for the HD-STB will be more beneficial.

Generally, the Pioneer service adjustments are shared for the component HD signals and the 480p DVD component signal. Because a variable regarding color/tint info is likely to exist between your progressive DVD player and the HD component signal, I would suggest that you adjust the signal based on the HD-STB and use the advanced menu of the DVD player to account for the difference.

Good luck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Randal,

The Zenith DTV-1080 actually has seperate component and RGB outputs. They aren't active at the same time and there's a switch on the back that dictates which one is. There is also a switch to dictate what the output resolution is (1080i, 720p, 480p). We had it hooked up to a Seleco CRT projector which worked best with the 1080i output and we also had it connected to a Sharp XV9000 which worked best with the 720p output. As for the color and tint settings, all the display devices we had STB's on allowed for adjusting of at least those two parameters. Honestly, I've not had the need to adjust and HD pic beyond the basics. Personally, I'd like to get the Zenith DTV1080 but if I procrastinate long enough, maybe the new Sony SAT-HD200 will be out (October at best). If you have any other questions, feel free to run them by me. Hope this helped.

Rob

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
4cinema,

Thanks for your insight. I do not use a progressive DVD player since the 710 does such a great job of converting. It also does not have advanced adjustments that would allow me to match to the HD standard. I am due a DVD upgrade and am considering the Denon DVD-3800.

I am surprised that there is not some adjustment somewhere for color and tint either in the set or in the HD stb. How else can the proper set up be done in the factory? If I send bars from a Sencore VP300 HD generator into the RGB input and check with a blue filter, what is one to do if there is a color or tint misadjustment?

Finally, since you seem to be familiar with the Elite service menus, can you tell me what the color, tint, contrast, and bright that are in the STD OFFSET mode?

Rob,

Thank you for your comment on the Zenith 1080. Are you interested in the new Zenith HD-SAT 520? Sounds like a product with promise. What do you know yet about the new Sony?

Randal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cam Man, thanks for refering me to this thread.

Rob, thanks for the explanation. That did the trick. They are going to install the oval dish (with 3 LNB's) tommorrow. I can't wait to finaly have a true HD signal on my beautifull PRO-710HD. Thanks again.

Mo

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Pro-Mo,

Glad the fix worked for you. An interesting coincident...my oval and Hughes E86 will be installed tommorrow. I , too, have never seen HD on our Pro-710. Already have dates to entertain friends at the Toronto at Arizona MLB game Friday night on HDnet, and "Point of Origin" (did that one) premiere on HBO Saturday. Can't wait. Enjoy.

Randal

·
Registered
223 Posts
Randal,

All I know about the Sony is what I saw at the Sony show in March. The unit was tentatively called a SAT-HD200, had a cool new look and had an i-Link output. Whether or not it will be compatible with the displays out there with DVI outputs has yet to be seen. Too little info thus far. Even the release date of the thing is subject to change. I've already heard anything from Sept. to December. As for the Zenith 520, I just heard about it today from another person.

Rob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok Rob question about the Elite 710, why doesn't the DTV indicator light up when I feed a HD signal to the monitor? does this only light up when the Elite SH-D09 digital tuner is used or am I doing something wrong?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.