AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in any insight/advice in regard to choosing btw these two excellent receivers. I know Integra has incredible pedigree and is a staple in custom high end home audio, but pioneer elite also has it's chops and is very well regarded. I've listened to PE and I like it. Just making sure I'm down the right road. I will be 75/25 movies/audio and I am interested in streaming digitally to a 2nd and/or third zone. (I plan on using an apple tv for this). I know both are DLNA 1.5 cert so it's not an issue. They seem very similar, but there is the audessey vs mcacc issue. Anybody with any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
If I were you I would contact ccotenj. He's used both brands and can give you the insight you are seeking. Please realize though that this guy is one of the biggest Pioneer fanboys there is. I can't keep up with what he's using at anytime. Last thing I remember him with was the Integra pre-pro. So I know you can help with the differences on how the Pioneers vs. Integra's work. I believe he is now using a Marantz. Tell him I sent you. He will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. Good luck, I'm sure you be happy with either of these choices.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
i knew my ears were burning for a reason...

yes, i'm a self admitted, card carrying, pioneer ho'...
and yes, i'm using the marantz av7005 now...

as far as the subject at hand...

- audyssey vs. mcacc is a bit of a wash, imo... they both do their job, and they do it well (assuming the user does THEIR job well)... audyssey eq's the sub a bit, and that can be helpful... sub eq can be accomplished in other ways though...

- i do not know what the actual output of the integra unit is, but i do know that the pioneer will deliver it's rated specs, and will drive difficult to drive speakers...

- the integra, if it is like all it's other brothers, clicks... this can be anywhere from a minor annoyance to a show stopper for people...

- tell me a bit more about your streaming/zone requirements...

i haven't followed the thread on that specific integra unit, so i'm not sure if there are any quirks to it... i do know that the sc-37 appears to be pretty well sorted out, as the sc's that came before it were...

off the top of my head, i personally would favor the sc over the integra... the sc series has been a very stable platform since it's introduction, and the integra's have always been plagued with bugs at introduction, some of which have never gotten completely sorted out...

what else ya wanna know?

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
Knew you would come around. Someone that spends his day on this site can't help but find someone else talking about them. That Integra didn't stay in the rack very long. How's the Marantz working out? I'm with you on this one though, my vote would also go to the SC over the Integra. Of course for the money he's spending I would also check out the Yamaha A3000. I'm one of the Yamaha ho's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just looking to stream iTunes, pandora, rhapsody from network to basement (receiver) back to 2nd and 3rd zones upstairs. I would like to retain as much audio quality in the process. I have been leaning PE from the beginning and the SC-37 has been my choice. Through my research, Integra seems like a worthy adversary. I have appreciated opinions regarding the maturation of the SC line as well.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19514851

Knew you would come around. Someone that spends his day on this site can't help but find someone else talking about them. That Integra didn't stay in the rack very long. How's the Marantz working out? I'm with you on this one though, my vote would also go to the SC over the Integra. Of course for the money he's spending I would also check out the Yamaha A3000. I'm one of the Yamaha ho's.

i have no life...

no, it didn't. the clicks and the overall ugliness of the unit was enough to get it put back in a box once a viable alternative appeared... too bad too, the feature set is good, and it pretty much "works"...

i'm happy with the marantz purchase... it appears to be well sorted out, it's easy to use, and it's MUCHO prettier than the integra... well implemented feature set... no major screwups on this one by d&m, unlike the disaster that the 4311 looks like it's turning out to be...

that's 2 votes for the sc....
and i agree, the yammy is worth a look as well...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostarchvic /forum/post/19514862

Just looking to stream iTunes, pandora, rhapsody from network to basement (receiver) back to 2nd and 3rd zones upstairs. I would like to retain as much audio quality in the process. I have been leaning PE from the beginning and the SC-37 has been my choice. Through my research, Integra seems like a worthy adversary. I have appreciated opinions regarding the maturation of the SC line as well.

as long as you connect your atv to the avr with analog cables, you'll be fine...

the sc will not route digital inputs to the zone outputs... i don't believe the integra will either... that's an unusual feature, in that the avr needs to contain 2 discrete digital paths in order to accomplish this...

are your zones powered or passive? given the answer to that, there's a couple workarounds for this...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

assuming you don't have a "new" atv, that doesn't have any analog outputs anymore, yes. the atv would be an analog source at that point, and you could send it to zone 2/3...

unless you are storing the music locally on the atv (or using it for it's other atv functions), you could just use an airport express as well...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two macs an airport express and a time machine for back-up. The apple tv idea was given to me by a 3rd party. I thought it would be simpler than setting up the DLNA option. Maybe I'm wrong. What are the 37's ability to stream audio? It seems it is limited to sampling frequencies of 48 kHz. Is this noticeably inferior to Integra and would I notice it?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

no, it would not be perceived as inferior... don't get hung up on numbers, it will give you nothing but headaches for no gain whatsoever...

let's not make this too hard...

run itunes on one of the macs... stream the audio to the airport express... connect the airport express analog to the avr...

no need for dlna, no need for nothing.... since you are obviously an apple household (like me), i'd guess you have an iphone and or an itouch... download the "remote" app from the app store (free), and control everything from the palm of your hand...

streaming directly to the avr (whichever one you pick) by kludging a dlna server on the front end of itunes isn't a worthwhile option, especially since you already have the equipment you need on hand to do it the other way...

·
Registered
7,811 Posts
See you do have a life. Your'e helping this member out, we are all here for a reason. Maybe yours is to help other people get their systems up and running properly. Mines to enjoy modifying my motorcycle.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

yours sounds like more fun...

he's at least on the right path...

·
Registered
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostarchvic /forum/post/19515765

I feel like I can get all the amenities I need from SC-35 except rhapsody.

is rhapsody a "must have" feature for you?

fwiw, it's likely to show up on a source component near you soon (so to speak) soon anyway... seems like almost every "new" networked device has all the various network apps built in...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts