Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post, so be gentle. I currently own a Pioneer SD-532-HD5 and am very satisfied with it except the Elite line is beckoning to me. I understand the current Elites can upconvert a regular analog cable signal to 1080i. Does this really make a difference? Should I stick with my paid-for 532 or go for a new Elite?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The upconversion adds artifacts to the image. Aside from that, it really isn't adding anything else positive to the image by going 1080i ...

Regards

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That makes me think I should stay with my 532 unless you can give me a good argument that the Elite is that much better.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Aside from the cosmetics and the DVI for this year, there really isn't that much different in terms of pure image quality.

The service menu in the new elites is more friendly, but a knowledgable person should not have problems working through your menu.

Think shiny piano finish ...

Regards

·
Registered
76 Posts
FYI, the PRO-530HD is now $3500. Granted, that would still be a lot if all I wanted was a shiny black finish and 480i upconverted to 1080i.

I bought one because it had 2 DVI inputs, PureCinema III upconversion, 2 year warranty, and the best reputation of any RPTV I could find.

Get someone to buy your old TV and go for it. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Quote:
Think shiny piano finish ...
Well, you might want to add to that the finer pitch on the lenticular screen and the ability to defeat SVM as an end user.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I also just got a 530 and I love it. The "shiny black finish" is just great. It makes the set look like a nice piece of furniture rather than a big plastic case sitting in your room. The build quality is also much improved over the SD sets. The Elites are built to last. Below are a few advantages that the new 30 series have other the older 20 series Elites, and the SD series sets.

1. 2 DVI inputs

2. Accepts 720p signal, upconverts to 1080i. 520 and older sets will not accept a 720p signal.

3. New Pioneer Pure Cinema III line doubler. Allows the user to select to view sources in either 480p or 1080i. I personally can't tell much of a difference between these two. Has been suggested by Dave Levy that the 1080i softens the picture some.

4. Redesigned User menu that is extremely easy to navigate.

5. Redesigned service menu that is more flexible.

6. Has a "Pro" mode which allows user to more fine tune settings. I don't see this as a big deal.

7. Anti-reflective protective screen.

8. Improved Blue gun.

9. No red push according to Dave Levy, a calibrator on the Home theater spot who has already ISF'd several 30 series Elites. I believe the 20 series had some slight red push that is not correctable with calibration.

10. Finer pitch on lenticular screen.

11. Neither the 20 or 30 series Elites lock into full mode with 480p input which I believe your 532 does.

As you can see, there is more to them than just the finish. As Pimbot posted, the price is now $3500 which is what I paid. You said you are very satisfied with your 532. If you are, just stay with it, especially if you don't need DVI or have any 720p sources. If you have the money, I don't think you would regret getting one. I love mine. It is great with dvd and far better than I expected with laserdisc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK now you've got me worried. You say my 532 won't accept a 720p signal. Won't my Dish 6000 accept the 720p signal and convert it to 1080i or am I not going to be able to view ESPN HD or ABC HD on my current setup?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Dish outputs whatever you want it to output. 1080i or 720p ... your choice and it converts it accordingly.

regards

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. The information I get from you guys is invaluable. You should see the blank stares I get when I ask these questions at the local Circuit City.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.