AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most Pioneer Elite owners will tell you the image is not centered vertically. Example 2.35 is justified towards the top. ISF calibration no doubt corrects this. I was about to do it myself after getting the service manual. Sloppy factory alignment - right?

But while watching the news last night in "Natural Wide" mode it struck me why the RPTV is set up this way at the factory. All the lower banners and text (Jane Doe, KKKK News at Ten) fit nicely on the screen. If the ratser was aligned "properly" this stuff would be cut off and yes, we would get a little more headroom.

Now a purist DVD / HDTV viewer would rightly get this set up properly so 1.85 would be centered. But you may want to think about it if you watch SDTV in one of the wide screen modes. And for 2.35, who cares, there are black bars anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a user (non-service) menu option to vertically shift the image.

It does not work in 4:3 or full, since all the lines are displayed.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I just had my 610 ISF'd and the image is still biased towards the top. The calibrator told me this was "by design". He significantly reduced the overscan but said a slight bias towards the top edge of the screen reduced the chance that closed captioning info would interfere in the picture area....don't know if this is true but that's what he said...

------------------

Geof

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally posted by Geof:
I just had my 610 ISF'd and the image is still biased towards the top. The calibrator told me this was "by design". He significantly reduced the overscan but said a slight bias towards the top edge of the screen reduced the chance that closed captioning info would interfere in the picture area....don't know if this is true but that's what he said...

He's right about the captioning. It's on line 21 which is considered part of active video. This was done in the captioning standard because most processing equipment only strips out vertical up to line 20. And consumer VCR's often chew up the vertical interval.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.