AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some trouble deciding between two different HT upgrade options. One of my issues being I'm having a hard time finding a place to demo my two different options because the magnolia center at Best Buy is the only local place I know of in Madison, WI that offers demos and they don't carry Pioneer as far as I know, and the Klipsch speakers I'm interested in are never in stock. I'd like to keep my total budget around $7000-$8000 keeping in mind my options below don't include things like the TV (LG oled65b7a), blu-ray player, and accessories like banana plugs, cable concealers, speaker stands etc.

I'm currently using Pioneer's entry level 5.1 system seen below and have been impressed with the price/performance ratio: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

The two setups I'm lookin at are as follows:

Option 1
Receiver: Denon Avr-x6300h $1200
Front: Klipsch RP-280FA $1400
Center: Klipsch RP-450C $450
Side surrounds: Pioneer SP-FS52 (already own)
Rear: Pioneer elite SP-EBS73 $350
Sub: Hsu Research VTF-3 $892
Total: $4292

Option 2:
Front: Pioneer elite SP-EFS73 $800
Center: Pioneer elite SP-EC73 $220
Total: $3460

My room size is 10x15 w/ 7ft ceiling and it opens up on one side into the kitchen. I guess what would help most is anyone that has heard both the Klipsch and Pioneer front 3 speakers because that's the only difference besides around $1000 in total price. I can't find a bad review of the Pioneer elite line or the Klipsch 280fa speakers, but I can't find a comparison online either.

Looking forward to feedback :)

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I'm having some trouble deciding between two different HT upgrade options. One of my issues being I'm having a hard time finding a place to demo my two different options because the magnolia center at Best Buy is the only local place I know of in Madison, WI that offers demos and they don't carry Pioneer as far as I know, and the Klipsch speakers I'm interested in are never in stock. I'd like to keep my total budget around $7000-$8000 keeping in mind my options below don't include things like the TV (LG oled65b7a), blu-ray player, and accessories like banana plugs, cable concealers, speaker stands etc.

I'm currently using Pioneer's entry level 5.1 system seen below and have been impressed with the price/performance ratio: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Pioneer+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

Option 1

Option 2:

My room size is 10x15 w/ 7ft ceiling and it opens up on one side into the kitchen. I guess what would help most is anyone that has heard both the Klipsch and Pioneer front 3 speakers because that's the only difference besides around $1000 in total price. I can't find a bad review of the Pioneer elite line or the Klipsch 280fa speakers, but I can't find a comparison online either.

You're room is not very big and I'm guessing the listening distance is going to be 10' or less. If so you could just as easily use the SP-EBS73 for the front and save even more. The klipsch will likely play louder and be brighter which for HT is usually a plus.

It would be best to demo a pair of each in your room. You could even use a pair of klipsh RP-150/160Ms for demo purposes to find out if you like their sound.

I would get 2 subs before spending the extra on the klipsch towers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, I'm going to see if I can demo the Klipsch series tomorrow at BB... it's unfortunate they don't have the Pioneer elite series to demo but I've been impressed with the entry level Pioneers I have so I'm sure I'd like them but who knows.

As far as going with two subs, I think the single vtf-3 I'm looking at might piss off my neighbor next door so I'll have to see if I get any complaints about having one sub before I invest in two :D

I'd be using this for 70% home theater and 30% music...and I really like the way the Klipsch towers look with the grills off... Hmmm decisions decisions!

·
Registered
21,733 Posts
You're right, I'm going to see if I can demo the Klipsch series tomorrow at BB... it's unfortunate they don't have the Pioneer elite series to demo but I've been impressed with the entry level Pioneers I have so I'm sure I'd like them but who knows.

As far as going with two subs, I think the single vtf-3 I'm looking at might piss off my neighbor next door so I'll have to see if I get any complaints about having one sub before I invest in two :D

I'd be using this for 70% home theater and 30% music...and I really like the way the Klipsch towers look with the grills off... Hmmm decisions decisions!
The RP would be a great choice in a large room but not so much in a small room like yours as they are HUGE and need "space to breathe."

10-1/2"W x 43"H x 19"D

I've heard good things about the more compact Pioneer Elites as well, plus they are of reasonable size:

9.3” x 39.7” x 10.4” (W x H x D inch)

Another to consider that is not too large are the NHTs...especially if you like a brighter presentation. I expect the Pioneer Elites to be warmer sounding which is typical of Andrew Jones' Pioneer efforts.

39" x 5.75" x 7" (H x W x D)

https://hometheaterreview.com/nht-ms-tower-speaker-reviewed/

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

As far as going with two subs, I think the single vtf-3 I'm looking at might piss off my neighbor next door so I'll have to see if I get any complaints about having one sub before I invest in two

The RP would be a great choice in a large room but not so much in a small room like yours as they are HUGE and need "space to breathe."

10-1/2"W x 43"H x 19"D

I've heard good things about the more compact Pioneer Elites as well, plus they are of reasonable size:

9.3? x 39.7? x 10.4? (W x H x D inch)

Another to consider that is not too large are the NHTs...especially if you like a brighter presentation. I expect the Pioneer Elites to be warmer sounding which is typical of Andrew Jones' Pioneer efforts.

39" x 5.75" x 7" (H x W x D)

https://hometheaterreview.com/nht-ms-tower-speaker-reviewed/
Even after all my searching for the right speakers for my setup I never ran across the NHT option... Oh god, another speaker I have to try and demo lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Can you tell the BB Magnolia store to get the speakers so you can do this?
Tell them they will sell more that way!

·
Registered
21,733 Posts
Even after all my searching for the right speakers for my setup I never ran across the NHT option... Oh god, another speaker I have to try and demo lol
Well, IDK, Brent Butterworth, a very well known reviewer who generally tells it like it is found them not all that great to be honest.

I'd say the Pioneers are the clear front runner so you might want to pick up a pair of the bookshelves to test before ordering the towers as bookshelves are much cheaper to return.

Accessories4less seems to have the best price...but "sold out" at the moment.

You may want to consider just going with bookshelves all around as per this review as the towers are twice the price and with a good sub the difference would be marginal except in 2.0 music listening.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sp-ebs73-lr-speaker-system-review-test-bench

"However, it sure is a great way to get started. If you want Atmos and you want it now, this speaker system is a viable entry point. If you’re looking for a future Atmos upgrade path, the superb 5.1 and 2.0 performance of this speaker system makes it an excellent investment right away. No matter how you spin it, these Elites live up to their name—and at a very non-elite price."

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, IDK, Brent Butterworth, a very well known reviewer who generally tells it like it is found them not all that great to be honest.

I'd say the Pioneers are the clear front runner so you might want to pick up a pair of the bookshelves to test before ordering the towers as bookshelves are much cheaper to return.

You may want to consider just going with bookshelves all around as per this review as the towers are twice the price and with a good sub the difference would be marginal except in 2.0 music listening.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/pioneer-elite-sp-ebs73-lr-speaker-system-review-test-bench

"However, it sure is a great way to get started. If you want Atmos and you want it now, this speaker system is a viable entry point. If you?re looking for a future Atmos upgrade path, the superb 5.1 and 2.0 performance of this speaker system makes it an excellent investment right away. No matter how you spin it, these Elites live up to their name?and at a very non-elite price."
Actually the review I read that he did rated them pretty highly, but I could only find one review of them, and I don't have anywhere to demo them that I'm aware of.

I was able to demo the Klipsch R-28f and they sound a whole lot brighter than what I'm used to...whether that's indicative of what the rp-280fa would sound like I don't know but I'm not sure I liked it.

I think what I'll do in the end is stick with Pioneer and buy a set of the elite bookshelf speakers to test out like you mentioned... If I like them I'll buy a pair of the towers (or maybe another pair of the bookshelf versions like you said) and use my current front towers as side surrounds so I don't have to worry about speaker stands.

I won't be able to upgrade until April(ish) depending on whether I get some $$ I'm expecting. Maybe something will hit the market that's geared towards my needs before then... Until then I think my decision is Andrew Jones all the way!

·
Registered
201 Posts

"However, it sure is a great way to get started. If you want Atmos and you want it now, this speaker system is a viable entry point. If you’re looking for a future Atmos upgrade path, the superb 5.1 and 2.0 performance of this speaker system makes it an excellent investment right away. No matter how you spin it, these Elites live up to their name—and at a very non-elite price."
The NHT MS series is essentially the previous Absolute series with Atmos drivers added. The Absolute series was well received, so I don't see why the MS series wouldn't be equally well received.

·
Registered
201 Posts

Option 1

Option 2:

Have you considered downgrading the receiver to the x3300 or x4300? The x6300 seems over kill.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Option 1

Option 2:

Looking forward to feedback
Have you considered downgrading the receiver to the x3300 or x4300? The x6300 seems over kill.
Yeah... But then I'd need to buy an external amp and I don't really want to bother with buying another component.

·
Registered
21,733 Posts
The NHT MS series is essentially the previous Absolute series with Atmos drivers added. The Absolute series was well received, so I don't see why the MS series wouldn't be equally well received.
I can't think of a less complimentary review of his in recent memory to be honest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts