AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting ready to jump into the Plasma generation.

My Price point is right around $5000 for a 50" set.

It seems there are numerous Pioneer Elites and Panasonics in that range.

Just curious if anyone can recommend one over the other.

I read a bunch of good things about Panasonic but after scrolling through a few pages of the forum, i don't see much on the Pioneers.

Also, while researching the Pioneers and Panasonics there seems to be to or three different model numbers, i.e. Pro 1110 or the Pro 1120, or TH 50PX500 or TH 50PX20UP, not sure the difference as they are all 50" sets. Maybe its this years vs. last years.

I was hoping some of you more experienced owners could help me out. I don't want to get taken advantage of and want to get good value.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Zippy, read the Panasonic plasma FAQ posted in this forum for the differences in their model #s. On the Pioneers, the 1120 is the current 50" Elite, but the 1130 is scheduled for release in September with an MSRP of $6500, which I believe is less than the MSRP on the previous generation 1120.

Panny certainly gets more play on this forum because of 2 things (IMO),

1-Value, heck of a TV for an awesome price

2-Black levels, most guys here are black-o-philes as I call them and prefer the Panny blacks over the Pioneer colors and brightness. I own one of each. I prefer the Pioneer picture, but that's completely subjective.

Go to a decent HT store, they should have both a Pioneer and Panny close together. I know CC and Tweeter usually do.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Truly, with the price and black level dropping on the Pioneers, Panny is in for a dogfight. I already prefer the pq and bezel aesthetics of the Pioneers, so it's all gravy for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.