AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I could use some advice about replacing my receiver. I have a Pioneer Elite vsx-30 that just showed itself out of working order and need to replace it (power keeps cycling over and over, fires up, then 'crashes' and restarts consistently). I am a blank slate for current products and I'm not sure where to go. I'm looking for brand/model suggestions on what to replace it with. My current setup is a 5.1 Boston Acoustics speaker setup, with an LG 55LM7600 (HDMI video in, optical audio out to receiver), an xBox360 (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), Wii (composite), and two PCs to plugin via HDMI/displayport. My budget is around $500, the Pioneer failed just a few months after the manufacturer warranty ran out :(

Thanks for any suggestions and discourse you may have!

·
Registered
13,490 Posts
Before you go and buy something else, have you tried a microprocessor reset on the Pioneer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Alan,

The issue it's having is the unit turns on, shows "Power On", then has a brief (less than a second) moment when it's usable, then it freezes and resets itself without any intervention. This repeats over and over until the power cable is disconnected.

Can you elaborate on how to do a microprocessor reset? Steps I've tried:

Holding the power/standby button until it stops cycling, then powering it back on manually, no success.

Unplugging the power overnight and plugging it back in the next day, no success.

Unplugging all the inputs/outputs/power/etc; overnight and just plugging the power back in the next day, no success.

Not for my exact unit, but the factory reset 'procedure' here: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/350642/Pioneer-Vsx-31.html?page=80

Any other advice? I would love to not spend money on a new receiver, but I'm out of ideas. I also can't get a service quote without sending it in, paying for the diagnosis and repair estimate, and being without for a while.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,490 Posts

·
Premium Member
93,225 Posts
Hey everyone, I could use some advice about replacing my receiver. I have a Pioneer Elite vsx-30 that just showed itself out of working order and need to replace it (power keeps cycling over and over, fires up, then 'crashes' and restarts consistently). I am a blank slate for current products and I'm not sure where to go. I'm looking for brand/model suggestions on what to replace it with. My current setup is a 5.1 Boston Acoustics speaker setup, with an LG 55LM7600 (HDMI video in, optical audio out to receiver), an xBox360 (HDMI), PS3 (HDMI), Wii (composite), and two PCs to plugin via HDMI/displayport. My budget is around $500, the Pioneer failed just a few months after the manufacturer warranty ran out :(

Thanks for any suggestions and discourse you may have!
If you purchased with a credit card, check with the card issuer as many cards will add an extra year of warranty making it 3 years instead of only 2. :)

Also need to make sure the receiver can do HDMI upconversion from composite signals (Wii) to HDMI. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
You may also want to consider a Wii2HDMI and then won't have the analog --> HDMI requirement which is generally not a feature of lower level models.

http://www.amazon.com/DragonPad®-10...UTF8&qid=1429349943&sr=8-1&keywords=wii2+hdmi

Otherwise, the Denon X2100W (which does do composite --> HDMI conversion) is on clearance now from authorized dealers for only $399. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts