AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Brand new to the site and in the process of upgrading my current ht setup. I currently have a vsx-40 from pioneer that has done everything I've asked of it thus far, however I just purchased the monitor 70s as well as the cs2 center channel from newegg ($440 shipped!). I have been doing countless hours of reading and hear so many different opinions but nothing specific to my setup yet so here it goes.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a new avr or should I buy an external amp to power the speakers? I know my avr has the preamp out for it however I'm not looking to drop a fortune on an amp but I'm also trying to get what I paid for out of the 70s. Hoping to stay under $350 if an external is the best route. Let me know what y'all think.

I'm open to all suggestions. Willing to spend slightly more if I have to as I have an OTB system from klipsch that's brand new to sell as well as being willing to sell the vsx 40 to start from scratch if that's what you think is best.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchmanjr1310  /t/1511324/pioneer-elite-vsx-40-with-amp-questions#post_24198156

Hi there,

Brand new to the site and in the process of upgrading my current ht setup. I currently have a vsx-40 from pioneer that has done everything I've asked of it thus far, however I just purchased the monitor 70s as well as the cs2 center channel from newegg ($440 shipped!). I have been doing countless hours of reading and hear so many different opinions but nothing specific to my setup yet so here it goes.

Should I bite the bullet and buy a new avr or should I buy an external amp to power the speakers? I know my avr has the preamp out for it however I'm not looking to drop a fortune on an amp but I'm also trying to get what I paid for out of the 70s. Hoping to stay under $350 if an external is the best route. Let me know what y'all think.

I'm open to all suggestions. Willing to spend slightly more if I have to as I have an OTB system from klipsch that's brand new to sell as well as being willing to sell the vsx 40 to start from scratch if that's what you think is best.

Audiophilia is an indisidious disease. You have a product that has done everything you have asked of it and you wonder what you should put in its place. Just think that through. A new receiver or a new amplifier aren't going to affect the sonics of your system. They may give you some temporary relief from the audiophilia but they don't have anything really to do with how your systems sounds.

Last year I bought a new TV because the old one wore out and showed black streaks across the screen. I also bought new speakers because I set up a second home theater in another room and decided to use the main systems speakers for that. My 7 year old Pioneer VSX92 has done everything I have asked it to do. It is still there happily driving my main home theater equipment. Think it through.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If that's what you believe then spend away. I have no skin in the game. I'm just trying to provide some common sense.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Do you have a Subwoofer? I would buy a good sub before I added an amplifier.

At any rate, those speakers are 90 db efficient, and your receiver should have no problem driving them to ear-splitting levels if you so choose. A new amp will not them sound any better. The only use for a larger amp would be if your current amp was too small and causing distortion at your desired listening level.

Hook it all up, and enjoy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I generally listen to music at decently loud levels and I just want to make sure I have enough juice. If I save the $200 on the amp I'd be willing to buy a decent sub for $300 or so. Any suggestions for my setup? 2 monitor 70s and a cs2 running off of a pio elite vsx 40?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
I think your current receiver will do just fine but get yourself an spl meter to see how loud you really like it when it's turned up then use a spl calculator with your specifics and see how much amp you're currently using before buying a new one or an additional amplifier.

An active sub would relieve your amp of some duties, though $300 is the lower end of subwooferdom...you might check out this thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less and its sister thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396482/budget-subwoofers-discussions-opinions-and-questions-thread You willing to do any diy you can get even more bang for the buck (depending on how you value your time
).

I think generally you should concentrate on spending more on speakers/subs than your receiver or amplification for improvements in sound, or making sure its fine tuned to your room, rather than expecting a lot from your receiver/amp. Good hunting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts