AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Pioneer Elite PRO-1540HD & Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi combination, what's the best way to set the scaling of the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi receiver? I have both HDMI and component cables connect to the PRO-1540HD plasma, but has anyone experimented with the scaling ability of the VSX-84TXSi receiver's ability?

I understand that 1540HD is 1365 x 768 and can accept a 1080p/24Hz signal, so does that mean that setting the scaler of the VSX-84TXSi to 1080p will yield the best results?

Can the VSX-84TXSi accomplish this through HDMI?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has experimented with the Pioneer Elite PRO-1540HD & Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi combination?

I'd like to know the best way to set the scaling in the VSX-84TXSi to match to the PRO-1540HD get the best picture quality, regardless of source.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpioli /forum/post/0

No one has experimented with the Pioneer Elite PRO-1540HD & Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi combination?

I'd like to know the best way to set the scaling in the VSX-84TXSi to match to the PRO-1540HD get the best picture quality, regardless of source.

I have an 84TXS and a Pioneer 5071. I find the scaler in the receiver makes things look terrible and just turn ot off. I just use the 84TXS as an HDMI switcher.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:

IcemanDallas,

I'm surprised the scaler is terrible. Do you try to scale anything like a Xbox 360 or standard DVD?

Thanks.

I play all DVDs and HDDVDs on a Toshiba HD-A1 set to 1080i. The upscaling function on the Toshiba is excellent and I let the plasma then scale to 768. My sat box is SD 480i S-Video connection and I didn't see any benefit when I let the receiver scale to 480p, 720p or 1080i so I just set the receiver to "pure". I actually see all kinds of noise when I display the TV Guide function when the scaler is turned on at any resolution. I also have an Oppo 970 DVD player which I now just use for SACD and DVD-A but I compared the scaling when I first got the receiver and the Oppo blew the 84TXS away. So I just leave it off.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:

Is outputting component sources via the receiver's HDMI output a good idea? Is there any picture degradation?

yes, it's a good idea. You then only have the one HDMI cable running to the plasma. Should not degrade unless you turn that sacler on. I would think the scaler in your plasma would be excellent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.