AVS Forum banner

881 - 900 of 1583 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl /forum/post/11729692

Looks to be the Canadian model of the 92.

The typical pio junk about we have to have different models for every corner of the earth.

No. There is no other models for the 92. The 91zxcdesfscndjkfs or whatever it's called is a elite 91. It doesn't have the drop down door of the 92.

Also, I am extremely pissed off at you 92 and 94 owners for not showing pics of your receivers in action. All those purdy lights are to show off!

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/11729940

No. There is no other models for the 92. The 91zxcdesfscndjkfs or whatever it's called is a elite 91. It doesn't have the drop down door of the 92.

Also, I am extremely pissed off at you 92 and 94 owners for not showing pics of your receivers in action. All those purdy lights are to show off!

Guess that is what I get for just looking up the model and not going to the site. Just saw it was Future Shop that had it.

Looks like it is this one then.

VSX-1016TXV

Or it is close by the pic on pios site.

I would post some picks of my 94 all lit up but I am waiting for a new BD player since my 1200 will not do MA or trueHD MA. Since I want the 2400 it will still a little while. And until the FW update is done for the XA2 it will not either. So All you would see is PCM for the most part.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxxer /forum/post/11729502

QUESTION ABOUT THE OSD:

HEy all - I just bought a 91 - but can't open it till i get to my new house at beginning of october. and reading through the manual - i just want to verify one thing.

If i attach my speakers - plug a HDMI cable from the receiver to my tv - then power on the receiver - i will get the OSD on my tv?

JUst curious cuz i just returned a Harmon Kardon 445 for this unit - and the HK had a limitation of OSD only over analogue video sources. I want to be able to run the auto speaker setup before i start connecting any components. thx.

yes

·
Registered
632 Posts
I am in the construction phase now and looking into buying a 92TXH. Would I be able to use the following sources, all upconverted to 1080p via HDMI?

I want to be sure all of my sources will be able to be used:

* DirecTV HR20 via component 1080i

* SA8300 Cable box via HDMI 1080i

* Xbox 360 via HDMI 1080p

* PS3 via HDMI 1080p

* Media Center PC via component 720p

* Region Free DVD player via component.

Will this list of components work well with the 92 if I am going to a 1080p projector and will require upconversion on these items?

Thanks in advance. I am looing to bail on my original option of the Onkyo due to all the lip sync issues i am reading about.

Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsprance /forum/post/11733079

I am in the construction phase now and looking into buying a 92TXH. Would I be able to use the following sources, all upconverted to 1080p via HDMI?

I want to be sure all of my sources will be able to be used:

* DirecTV HR20 via component 1080i

* SA8300 Cable box via HDMI 1080i

* Xbox 360 via HDMI 1080p

* PS3 via HDMI 1080p

* Media Center PC via component 720p

* Region Free DVD player via component.

Will this list of components work well with the 92 if I am going to a 1080p projector and will require upconversion on these items?

Thanks in advance. I am looing to bail on my original option of the Onkyo due to all the lip sync issues i am reading about.

Rob

My understanding is that the receiver will not upconvert sources connected to it via hdmi--only component. For example, if you connect your HR20 via hdmi to the receiver, it will only output to your screen the native resolution coming out of the HR20. If you connect via component, it may upconvert to 1080p. I am connecting my HR10-250 (soon to be replaced by HR20) to my VSX-92 via hdmi, and then into my 1080p tv via hdmi from the receiver. I have not tried using component yet. Hdmi is just so much easier. Let us know your results if you try component.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyHD /forum/post/11734530

My understanding is that the receiver will not upconvert sources connected to it via hdmi--only component. For example, if you connect your HR20 via hdmi to the receiver, it will only output to your screen the native resolution coming out of the HR20. If you connect via component, it may upconvert to 1080p. I am connecting my HR10-250 (soon to be replaced by HR20) to my VSX-92 via hdmi, and then into my 1080p tv via hdmi from the receiver. I have not tried using component yet. Hdmi is just so much easier. Let us know your results if you try component.

I just know the Onkyo I was looking at had two limitations i was hoping the 92 did not have...

1. A maximum of 5 HD devices on any collection of HDMI / Component ports (I have 6 Total)

2. Non upconversion of component 1080i over HDMI (it actually downconverts to 720p)

I am also looking for a vendor where i can get this for around $1k. If anyone knows please PM me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am getting my Pioneer Pro 150FD any day now and I decided on an Elite BDP-95HD Blue Ray player which comes out next month. My question to you is should I just stick with the Elite line and get the VSX-94TXH receiver or take the plunge with the Onkyo 905. I currently have an Onkyo SV909 pro from about 15 years ago and I really like it.

I know it all depends on my needs. What I want is my socks to be blown off when I watch a movie, but I don't want any hassles with video processing that may or may not happen on my way to my display. Also I don't want unnecessary processing done in my receiver or BD player.

So I guess what I am asking is, will this setup be satisfactory or would one of you guys recommend I put my name on the wait list and get the 905? Or go an different direction entirely?

Thanks of you help and input,

Derek

·
Registered
700 Posts
Does anyone with the 94 know if the optical outputs are switchable or are they assigned only? For instance, can you have an optical output to be set to output whatever the currently selected input is?

·
Registered
49 Posts
hey guys... I've been reading in here that the vsx-92 only upconverts analog signals to hdmi... does the same go for the vsx-94? I too was considering getting the Onkyo 905 but, changed my mind due to the audio sync issues. I like the pioneer's features and specs but, want decent video processing.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
134 Posts
QUESTION #1 ABOUT HEADPHONES

Hello - I can't find this in my manual (and i can't hook it up for a week).

If I plug in headphones to the headphone jack on the fron of the unit - do all the speakers automatically cut out?

or is there a switch that you must activate to select the headphones?

My wireless headphones only accept the 1/4 plug - and so i like to leave it plugged in all the time and be able to select it (by remote would be awesome).

ANyone tell me how it works on these? (i have the 91) thx

QUESTION #2 ABOUT HEADPHONES

Do the headphones take the current sound processing that is applied to the speakers - and try to 'simulate' a suround field through the headphones or does it only do stereo? My HK receiver let you select Dolby Surround specifically for the headphone jack. thanks!

·
Registered
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxxer /forum/post/11737970

QUESTION #1 ABOUT HEADPHONES

Hello - I can't find this in my manual (and i can't hook it up for a week).

If I plug in headphones to the headphone jack on the fron of the unit - do all the speakers automatically cut out?

or is there a switch that you must activate to select the headphones?

My wireless headphones only accept the 1/4 plug - and so i like to leave it plugged in all the time and be able to select it (by remote would be awesome).

ANyone tell me how it works on these? (i have the 91) thx

QUESTION #2 ABOUT HEADPHONES

Do the headphones take the current sound processing that is applied to the speakers - and try to 'simulate' a suround field through the headphones or does it only do stereo? My HK receiver let you select Dolby Surround specifically for the headphone jack. thanks!

Not sure about how it tries to play the sound but from pg. 24 in the 92-94 manual.

When the headphones are connected there is no sound output from the speakers.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsterut /forum/post/11650113

How did you get your Pio to recognize independent speakers settings for each MCACC? Maybe Pio fixed this in the 92/94 and didn't correct the User Manual from the previous models? That would be sweet!!

As best I can tell, the VSX-92TXH does not support independent speaker settings for each MCACC preset. Does the VSX-94TXH differ in this regard?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I posted this in the official VSX-92TXH thread also.

Ok I have a question on how I should set up another set of speakers. Right now I have the 92 with a 5.1 system, but I also have in wall speakers around the house. All of the speakers are connected to a switch and the switch has the bare wire connections. Right now I have the in-walls set as Speaker B but I want to be able to adjust the volume on them independently from the 5.1. I usually have the 5.1 and the in walls playing at the same time but the volume on the in walls are still to low. I know I could add an amp but I have my old onkyo receiver and I tried connecting the in wall speakers to the onkyo and the 92 pre-amp outputs to one of the inputs on the onkyo so I could have an independent volume control but the thing is Im not getting any sound. Is there another output I should use on the 92, like multi-zone? but I dont really want to play different sources just the same one.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseer /forum/post/11648454

I just asked Pioneer, they said that Pure Direct keeps the crossover settings (namely they said the only way I can do what I want is to remove the crossover, namely set the speaker to Large).

I tested this on my VSX-92TXH using a 2-channel PCM (audio CD) source. The track used has plenty of sub-80hz bass. All speakers are configured as "small" with an 80hz crossover.

In regular stereo mode the subwoofer is very much active. In Pure Direct mode the subwoofer is inactive; bass is not redirected from the mains. This contradicts Pioneer's statement to you, but the behavior here is exactly what I would expect from a Direct/Pure mode.

·
Registered
418 Posts
tb311,

In the situation you described, wouldn't you connect the speaker outputs on the Onkyo to the in-walls, and then select the appropriate Onkyo input so that you are getting the signal from the 92?

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 /forum/post/11739907

tb311,sutputs on the Onkyo to the in-walls, and then select the appropriate Onkyo input so that you are getting the signal from the 92?

Thats how I have it setup. I guess my main question is what output do I use on the VSX-92TXH to output the sound to the onkyo? The way Im trying to do it right now is an output from the 92 connected to the cd input of onkyo and the onkyo to the in wall speakers. I want to play the same source the 92 is playing on the onkyo. So which output on the 92 do I use?

·
Registered
612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyHD /forum/post/11724147

Yesterday, I swapped the 90 for the 92 and did some basic setup. A few thoughts: I replaced the six analog interconnects with a single HDMI and am having no problems playing DVD-a discs. The Denon 1930 player, however, will not pass either the 2-ch or multichannel SACD signal through HDMI, thus I will need to go back to the analog cables in order to play sacds. Is this a quirk unique to the Denon, or would I run into this problem with any universal/sacd player? Is this an issue that was supposed to be addressed by HDMI 1.3 or has it been addressed by I-Link? I'd rather not go back to the six analog outs if I can find another player (such as the Pioneer Elite universal) that will pass the sacd signal through hdmi. One other thing I noticed while playing DVD-a: the sound level seemed much lower than it did at the sound db level with the VSX-90. I'm not sure if this was due to using hdmi rather than analog outs or due to the receiver itself, which seems to need to be turned up louder to get to the sweetspot, but once turned up it sounds great.

Finally, ergonoically, the 90 does have some advantages over the 92. Unlike the 92, you don't need to toggle through a bunch of sources to get to what you want as the 90 has buttons located on the front to go directly to the source you want.

These are only initial thoughts and I'll post again after I've had some more time with it. One other mild frustration is not knowing which audio stream you are hearing as my XA2 will only pass the advanced audio through PCM and then indicate as such on the receiver.

If anyone has any thoughts on the sacd issue, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Because your receiver is hdmi 1.3 it is capable of playing all dvd-a and sacd formats, 1.2 hdmi took care of this. However though,......your player has to be capable of passing both sac-d and dvd-a through hdmi, while most players will pass dvd-a, most do NOT pass sacd, even most of the newly released ones will not pass sacd except for oppo and I believe a couple of other newer ones will (yamaha has yet to make one that will). I believe it is a copyright protection thing. If you have I-link use that, and it will pass sacd.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm in the market for a Elite 92, a couple of quick questions though.

1. Are there any issues with HDMI --> DVI? I have a Mits 55813 with DVI w/HDCP. Right now I have the Onkyo 705 and it works fine with all my HDMI in's and my Mits. Does anyone see any reason I might have a problem with a 92? I'm going to the 92 due to lip-sync and upconversion to 1080i over component.

2. I noticed in this thread that you have to toggle thru all Inputs till you get to the one you want. I have a Harmony 880, will I be able to select an input directly with it? If I have to toggle thru inputs that would definetely be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
134 Posts
QUESTION ABOUT DTS-HD AND DOLBY TRUEHD INDICATORS

So - if at some point in the future - we hook up a device that outputs one of the new audio formats properly - what ecxactly will light up on the frnt of the receiver?

From looking at the manual - there appears to be no light on the front of the receiver to indicate one fo the new audio formats is being received.

881 - 900 of 1583 Posts