AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have all of my equipment running thru the Elite receiver via HDMI. I've noticed that it takes about 5-6 seconds to switch sources.

Is this common with all HDMI switching or what?

·
Registered
234 Posts
As I'm in the market for a new receiver does anybody have an answer to this question??? i.e. is this receiver specific or a generic problem with HDMI?

Thanks.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 /forum/post/14220147

I have all of my equipment running thru the Elite receiver via HDMI. I've noticed that it takes about 5-6 seconds to switch sources.

That is the TV that causes the delay not the receiver. It has to check the signal from the new source before displaying it. If a new signal is detected even though the same HDMI connection is being used it requires the TV to resync.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
switch the cable or sat box to output a constant format. I'll bet your box outputs whatever format the channels are displaying(480i, 480p,720p, 1080p,180i). Everytime a different format is detected the receiver and TV have to resync. Set the box to output only one format like 1080p for everything and set the TV to AUTO. Then your switching will work properly.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1010 /forum/post/14220147

As an installer I have noticed a delay in all the equipment that handles hdmi

some as little as 3 sec and some as high as 6 sec it varies from rec to display

some handshake better than others you would think this issue could have been

resolved by now.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/14225134

switch the cable or sat box to output a constant format. I'll bet your box outputs whatever format the channels are displaying(480i, 480p,720p, 1080p,180i). Everytime a different format is detected the receiver and TV have to resync. Set the box to output only one format like 1080p for everything and set the TV to AUTO. Then your switching will work properly.

I have my Comcast cable box set at 1080i.

I have my Xbox 360 set at 1080p

It's not my cable box that taking this long, its the receiver doing the switching of sources that takes so long.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
The only thing I have seen with no delay is source direct to display which makes it

inconvenient and voids the new audio formats as most displays only pass audio out

through the analog stereo and DD optical.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre /forum/post/14225134

I've been told the display I have has excellent processing cababilities (Pioneer PRO 151FD). However, I'm a bit confused as to what to feed it. If I'm not mistaken, I keep seeing folks talk about just feeding the display the natural, or pass thru, feed from cable/sat....feed it 480i from DVD....of course, 1080p from BD.

If I have my cable box set to feed something like 1080p, wouldn't I be depending on the STB to do the upconverting instead of the display? I thought the upconversion from a STB wasn't too good?

Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Different devices have different quality upscaling processes. You might be best served by trying each one in the chain to see which one you like best. E.g. The cable box can be set up to upscale to 1080p, or the receiver can upscale it to 1080p, or your can feed the display the native resolutions and it will upscale to 1080p. There might be three different processors in the three devices, each with their own pros and cons.

If you really believe it's the receiver that's slowing your switching down, I suggest you plug each of your HDMI devices into the TV and have it do the switching. See if it switches significantly faster. I'm willing to bet it still takes a couple of seconds to switch. Then plug em all back into your receiver and nod your head up and down. HDMI takes time to switch and resync, there is a handshaking that has to take place each time.

Greg

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On my Pioneer Elite Pro1150 Kuro plasma the display usually says 1080i unless I'm watching a dvd, BR or HDDVD, xbox 360 game.

How do I tell the receiver to upconvert everything? I've noticed the "Digital Converter Scaler" light on the front of the 94 has never been on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any more info on this issue?

Im looking into this or the 91TXH in an attempt to fix

the horrible delay on switching inputs without an HDMI receiver.

I have 2 HDMI inputs (one from Directv , one from PS3) going into my MITSU 1080P LCD.

whevener I change sources, I get alot of flickering, blank screen, flickering, garbage, black, more flickering and eventually a picture. This is so annoying.

Will a hign end HDMI receiver, where theres only 1 connection to the TV, fix this? thanks

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Unfortunately, due to Hollywood's paranoia about piracy, copy protection is a fundamental part of HDMI and part of that is making sure that every part of the chain is in compliance and that all of the devices are "secure". This is what causes at least part of the delays you are experiencing.

It's not an uncommon problem. I have a friend who left his Tivo HD hooked up via component rather than dealing with the HDMI imposed delays when ever changing channels.

I've heard talk about "improvements" or "fast HDMI" switching to eliminate this sort of thing, but I'm not aware of any current fixes for this sort of thing.

There's a product I've seen advertised on here called HDFury that does something to help with blocks on upscaled ouput on non-HDMI connections. It's possible something like that might be helpful, but I'm not that familiar with the product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts