AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right surround speaker is not producing any sound. My receiver is the Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH and I am using KEF Q300s as my surrounds. I have swapped speakers and can definitely say that the speaker is functional. Also, I have the speakers wired correctly for a 5.1 setup. My surrounds are connected to the surround speaker inputs on the receiver, not the surround backs. Furthermore, I have checked and double checked the connections. All appears fine. If I put my ear very close to the speaker I can hear an almost imperceptible hiss, which leads me to believe the speaker is getting juice. I fear my receiver may be at fault here, as the right surround was working for months prior to this. Can anyone help me with this?

Jimmy

·
Registered
630 Posts
Testing the speaker like that was a good first step.

The next step I would take would be to swap the cables for the left and right surrounds at the back of the receiver. This can expose a problem with the wires themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help! I swapped the speaker wires at the receiver, and as suspected, the speaker works while hooked up to the opposite receiver input. The problem is certainly in the wire itself or the receiver. However, isn't it more likely to be a receiver problem? A wire can undoubtedly be a single point of failure, but aside from being severed, what else could be wrong with it? The wire LOOKS good, so I'm inclined to think it's probably not the problem. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Campbell  /t/1459528/pioneer-elite-vsx-94txh-right-surround-not-working#post_22994456

Thanks for the help! I swapped the speaker wires at the receiver, and as suspected, the speaker works while hooked up to the opposite receiver input. The problem is certainly in the wire itself or the receiver. However, isn't it more likely to be a receiver problem? A wire can undoubtedly be a single point of failure, but aside from being severed, what else could be wrong with it? The wire LOOKS good, so I'm inclined to think it's probably not the problem. Your thoughts?

So same wire/speaker combination works when hooked up to one side but not the other? I'm sorry to say that this sounds like a receiver issue to me. I'm afraid I haven't got a lot to offer in terms of quick fixes and such. Perhaps someone else will have some additional ideas for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently had this happen to my 94 left surround channel. I checked the speaker and wire and both tested good. I then gave my receiver a slap on the back left side and everything started working. I'm guessing either a sticky relay or bad solder joint, but leaning more towards the relay.

Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently had this happen to my 94 left surround channel. I checked the speaker and wire and both tested good. I then gave my receiver a slap on the back left side and everything started working. I'm guessing either a sticky relay or bad solder joint, but leaning more towards the relay.

Eric
This tap on the back works. My left surround is now working. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts