AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between the Pioneer VSX-03TXH and the Denon 1909 AVR's. The complicating factor is my desire to patch in my Bose 901's powered by a separate Carver 1.5t amp for the front channels. The other 5 channels would connect directly to the AV receiver [ and the fronts come in from the Carver amp ] The receiver will be the control center of the set up.

Question is which receiver would best serve this kind of layout?

·
Registered
51 Posts
DMYLES,

While the Denon 1909 is a very good receiver, it won't do it for you. The 1909 doesn't have preamp output connections, which you would need in order to add an outboard power amp. It only has a sub out pre RCA jack. You'd have to step up to a Denon 2809, in order to gain the preout connections that you need:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV19...09.html?tp=179

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AV28...CI.html?tp=179

Also, check out Will2 at videogon.com His store has very good pricing on the Pioneer Elite 03:

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...1ch&1234532129

In fact, I just ordered a 03 from him.

Good luck,

StimpyWan

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdog4871 /forum/post/15798470

What about the two taking away the pre-amp (I will not do). How do they compare? I'm torn between the two.

Thanks

The only advantage the 1909 has is the Audyssey Dynamic Volume, for I believe works on all types of audio frequencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can watch HD at 5.1 and when a commercial takes over, it controls the loudness. I think the same goes to any audio frequency (action film, radio, recording). The 03 only has the Loudness Correction available in Stereo mode. So you can't enjoy the 5.1 on the tv switching to a commercial without the change in frequencies. You can, however, turn on ALC in Stereo mode to control the fluctuation, but you're stuck listening to any 5.1 material, action film, in Stereo 2.1 (that's if you have a sub connection). Also, I'm not sure if the 1909 has upscaling on HDMI connections. I know the 03 doesn't. As far as power, the 03 has more and it has pre-outs.

I own an 03, and even without having the auto-calibration setup, I'm happy with it overall. The only gripe is that ALC... but that's 1 feature that is limited to Stereo-mode that I can live with.

·
Registered
115 Posts
you can also get the VSX01 and save yourself ~$100... the feature dif. between the 01 and the 03 is hardly anything imo.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
decide between the Pioneer VSX-03TXH and the Denon 1909 AVR's

Definitely, the VSX03 or as thejez states even the vsx01. More flexible IMO. I too purchased the vsx03 from Will on videogon.com and am extremely happy with the results.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the input! The deal from Will seems too good to pass up. The DEnon Audessy control seems like a great option, but I can get the 03 for almost $100 less.

Something I just thought of; how's the set up with the 03?

·
Registered
146 Posts
The vsx01/03 setup is perhaps primative but easy to use. The automatic MCACC is accurate and can be tweaked for improvement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts