AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50", comes with speakers, stand, etc. Aside from the floor display, I saw 3 unopened boxes.

Sorry for the skimpy info, not sure if allowed to mention price here.

But it was nice to see a quality plasma featured at Costco. And about time, too.

Edited to add link to specs for PDP 5030 HD http://www.*******************.com/p...pdp5030hd.html

Edited 5/1/03 to add 2nd So. SF Costco sighting for PDP 5030 HD. The first I saw was the Costco close to So. SF Kaiser; the 2nd is Costco close to the SF Airport.

I have no quarrel not being able to mention the selling price here. Folks can simply visit their nearest Costco to find out.

I mostly wanted folks to know that now there are more to choose from at Costco other than the Akai or the Daewoo.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I just saw for sale today at Sears.It seems like this plasma is starting to show up in more than just Best Buy and Tweeter stores.

·
Registered
193 Posts
/rant on/

Now this is bogus. Good tip on a great product at a vendor that is not known for carrying a particular brand and we can't even discuss how much it cost???

What? Do we live in a Communist country where our 1st amendment rights are no longer existent? This is just plain silly......

Boo-fricken-who to the advertisers here that moaned about the board taking away sales because it's cheaper somewhere else. Excuse me, but isn't that what Capitalism is all about? Supply and demand? Offering a better or similar product at a similar or LOWER cost?!? Get a clue! If their pricing was on the same competitive level as say, Visual Apex, PlasmaExtreme, etc., don't you think we'd all be buying from the site sponsor's instead?

/rant off/

Sorry to high-jack your thread mdean, it just hit that raw nerve and I felt inclined to voice my opinion. Good find and good luck to those in the market for that particular make and model.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
First Amendment rights? This is a private forum, Rich. The government is not involved. The First Amendment is therefore irrelevant, and you are invited to head to a forum whose rules better suit your preferences.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Michael,

I agree! Its time to let it go. Things are going well here with out all the "Plasma Brokering" that we used to have.

PIO-5030- We have recommended the 503CMX instead. The 5030 is not on par with the 503 when it comes to Picture Quality. The Media Box seems to hurt more than it helps. Plus you will get a better price for the 503CMX.

Dave

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Richo,

Mr. Grant is right -- much as it pains me to say so -- he gets the free market/free speech stuff right, unlike most on AVS. And, like cheridave, I certainly don't miss the plasma flea market that this Forum had turned into.

On the other hand...

A little balance might go a long way. As long as mdean is mentioning price as an integral part of his comment rather than just posting a sales link to a cheap vendor, comparing prices here and there, I don't see the harm. I think it's in the spirit of open discussion, if not the current letter of AVS law.

The problem, of course, is that people can't help themselves and will quickly start abusing the privilege, and we'll be right back to where we used to be, unfortunately.

·
Registered
15,358 Posts
It's funny, I never cared too much either way about the pricing policy here.

But here in Toronto I recently came across an amazing deal on the Panny ED plasma - one or two in stock that a dealer was clearing out. I couldn't believe the price. I thought: "I gotta let the Canadian forum members know about it, in case anyone's near Toronto and is interested."

But....apparently I can't. This is one of those times were PM's wouldn't get around it, because I wouldn't know who to PM.

Oh well. It's too bad, but I do respect the pricing policy of this site.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Flea market? plasma brokering? what the heck are you guys talking about? All that I had seen before is fellow members reporting great deals when they ran across them. Nothing sinister or commercial, just the efficient exchange of information.

I hardly call 45,000 eyes and ears, all watching out for the best deals, a flea market.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Rich,

I think you could get your message out in this manner:

I saw a ED Panasonic on close-out for about $2500. today. E-mail me at ______ or PM for additional details.

Dave

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rschneider
Flea market? plasma brokering? what the heck are you guys talking about? All that I had seen before is fellow members reporting great deals when they ran across them. Nothing sinister or commercial, just the efficient exchange of information.

I hardly call 45,000 eyes and ears, all watching out for the best deals, a flea market.

See what I mean? Some just don't get the problem, so they cannot be counted on to exercise discretion and moderation, so the ban has to be total, unfortunately.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I think the point is that the board already was being successfully policed against commercial postings.

Postings from a vendor or shill were almost always immediately snuffed by the community.

I mean, PF, your point is kinda right because you correctly note the slippery slope issue. It's just unfortunate that a compromise couldn't be reach that draws a fuzzy line 1/3 the way down into the valley and instruct the moderators to exercise discretion around that line.

Again, Alan and David want and need to protect their advertisers. They don't want to devalue their forum. And it's a very imperfect system to try to figure out how to balance those interests.

The good news is that this is still a fun place to hang out and share information. The bad news is that in the areas where price is so important, we can't share information freely like we once could.

See the currently active thread about Pioneer prices for an example of this.

Mark

·
Registered
381 Posts
PF

I guess you're right, I just don't get the problem-- because there never was one!

Merchants posing as forum members were never that common. and when they did show up they were exposed for who they were.

This forum's greatest quality was the efficient exchange of information on a very complex subject. The nice thing was all could benefit from the collective knowledge of the group. and some of that knowledge involved helping others enter this hobby who otherwise could not afford to.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
Rich,

I think you could get your message out in this manner:

I saw a ED Panasonic on close-out for about $2500. today. E-mail me at ______ or PM for additional details.

Dave
Dave:

Is this thing still available?

Michaelmorio

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
rschneider --

:violent agreement:

Mark

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cheridave
PIO-5030- We have recommended the 503CMX instead. The 5030 is not on par with the 503 when it comes to Picture Quality. The Media Box seems to hurt more than it helps. Plus you will get a better price for the 503CMX.

Dave
Just a quick note here,

Joe Fernand (I think) reported that Pioneer is now making and supplying the media boxes instead of the original Sharp boxes. I do not know if they are the same components inside or not, but previous assumptions may or may not hold true with respect to PQ. (Until more info is available).

But other arguments are unchanged.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yes, I prefer the esthetics of the 5030, and the one-wire connection to the panel is nice. But the picture quality to us picky hobbyists isn't quite the same as the 503CMX, unfortunately, though most amateurs seem more than satisfied.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The two key drivers right now in plasma purchasing is price and quality. If you eliminate half the important information, how can anyone make an informed buying decision? Banning pricing information from the forum is totally without merit and certainly does not speak well for the forum or it's leadership. I strongly recommend the leadership rethink their decision.

Best regards-Henry

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Henry wrote: "The two key drivers right now in plasma purchasing is price and quality."

Doesn't the above statement refer to the purchase of the vast majority of goods available for sale on this planet?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.