AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully you guys can help me..... I have a 1 and 1/2 year old Pioneer DEH-P6900UB which I really enjoy, and has worked really well as part of my system....

It's out of it's 1 year warranty and recently the unit started powering down on it's own, also powering off when pressing buttons on the main display.... I'd discovered that the contacts are no longer connecting properly between the removable face plate and the main unit... I spoke with my local Dealer who installed my entire system and he said it was a common problem with Pioneer units. A few questions:
  • Are there any contact cleaners I can use on my head unit to help restore the connectivity?
  • Does anyone know if this is a known problem with Pioneer Units? I'd be reluctant to get it repaired or buy another Pioneer if this was likely to re-occur.
  • How should I address this when I call Pioneer Tech Support? I don't see how they could repair my unit for the problem it's experiencing, short of replacing the unit.

I didn't install my head unit myself and would need my local dealer to remove the unit from my car if I have to send it for repair, or to re-install it or install a new unit should I replace it. I'm not sure how to approach this problem but I definitely need to address it because I can't have my stereo randomly powering down when using it or listening to music... I'd like to avoid replacing the unit because I really like it but I can't afford to have it removed from my car, re-installed, only to experience the same problem later down the road...

Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can provide...

·
Registered
616 Posts
i would start by calling pioneer to see what they say. ask if this is a known issue and what the remedy is. call around to your local shops to see if any can service without being sent out.

i have had a pioneer for 3 years and have never had an issue with the contacts. you can get some dielectric cleaner or use some rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. be sure they are dry before attempting to reconnect.

also, not sure if you feel comfortable doing this or not, but you can try to bend the contact points so they make a better connection point. don't muscle em or you will surely break them. good luck...

·
Registered
27 Posts
From the 3000's models up, they had two common problems after a year or two-the RCA's ground shields' solder connection to the main stereo board causing noise in the aftermarket amps if installed. The other common problem is what you have experienced. There was a coating on the male and female contacts on the faceplate and the main HU. That coating wears over time (usually depends on how often the faceplate is dropped for CD r&r). If you replace the faceplate (VERY pricey), it will help for a short period but the problem will surface again in a couple of months.

I have had the really determined customers do this with some success but it is like maintenance and most just replace it with a JVC or other unit that doesn't have the problem. Get a cotton swab and dip it in rubbing alcohol and rub down the gold contacts on both pieces. Let it dry, then apply electrical contact cleaner/conditioner to both sets of contacts. Radio Shack sells it for like $6 a can.

Good luck with it. And BTW, Pioneer knows about it but will do nothing for you if you are out of warranty. Sucks but true unfortunately!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks MCOR for that detailed response... I will look into the contact cleaner...

I work in the AV Industry.. I was thinking about purchasing another Pioneer HU but only if they offer "industry accommodation" pricing to me.... They make some models (Premier) that carry 2 year warranties.... I would only be interested in those... I like the appearance and performance of the Pioneer units.... My system has been sounding fantastic, at least to my liking....Part of me is very inclined to stick with Pioneer but at the same time, I don't want this contact issue reoccurring on the next unit...

I also have the option of getting some attractive pricing on Alpine, but I have no experience with their product... I know they have a favorable reputation though....

I'm pretty torn really... But I guess at this point I should look at replacing my unit because repairing it doesn't appear to be a very attractive option....

The unfortunate thing is that I'm not technically informed enough to install and uninstall my receivers so I have to pay a visit to my local shop each time I make adjustments to my system....

Here's some pics of my system:

Pioneer DEH-P6900

Boston Acoustics SL80's

Boston Acoustics GT28, GT40 (installed under sub)

Boston Acoustics SPG555

·
Registered
616 Posts
i have had pioneer, alpine, kenwood, and jvc decks installed. currently have a Pio Premiere in wife's car and Kenwood Excelon in my car. have had zero issues with either deck. the alpine we had, the wife loved and was probably one of the better decks we have owned, but was only compatible with xm at the time. wife wanted sirius.

i don't believe you can go wrong with any aftermarket deck. just find one with features you are looking for and go with it. if you are hesitant about pioneer, there are many other options out there.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOR Automotive /forum/post/15459450

I have had the really determined customers do this with some success but it is like maintenance and most just replace it with a JVC or other unit that doesn't have the problem. Get a cotton swab and dip it in rubbing alcohol and rub down the gold contacts on both pieces. Let it dry, then apply electrical contact cleaner/conditioner to both sets of contacts. Radio Shack sells it for like $6 a can.

Good luck with it. And BTW, Pioneer knows about it but will do nothing for you if you are out of warranty. Sucks but true unfortunately!

Going to try the alcohol and contact cleaner this week at work... I spoke to some of our Service Techs and they have this stuff on hand....

Regarding Pioneer... I'm thinking about sticking with them.... The Alpine units I researched got some criticism because of Ipod compatibility issues with the 30 GB Ipod video (which I have) and also some lack of equalizer functions (aside from bass/treble)....

Someone we contacted today at Pioneer informed us that they are about to role out new models and the current receivers (at least some of them) on their site are discontinued...

Matt does your company deal Pioneer? Do you have any idea from your Rep when these new models are rolling out? I didn't actually speak to the Pioneer employee so I didn't get a chance to ask.... I'm definitely looking at going with a Premier model so I can get the 2 year warranty....

The model DEH-P510 was floated out there but I can't find anything about it on the internet at this point... It's supposed to be the replacement for the DEH-P600UB which was the model I was eying that looks most similar to my current DEH-P6900UB...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for the late response but I didn't get the email that there was a reply.

Anyway, January through March is usually like the launch and shipment of everything new in the 12 volt world. It is a rough time also because retailers begin to run out of last years product and it never fails that the replacements do not arrive in time. It is also a catch 22 because it is a very good time for the 12 volt industry retailers due to tax return money being spent. That being said, as of last week, I was able to get all new Pioneer products in as promised. However, we are not going to be pushing their single din head units much anymore due to customers being unhappy with the lack of preset station buttons on the faceplates. We will be running much more JVC than in years past due to customers really liking their interface, quality, much reduced pricing, and attractiveness. Never thought JVC would make it back to being a main player but I believe they have.

We sell much more Alpine now than we used to since they finally have some reasonable pricing and customers are willing to pay a few more bucks due to brand recognition. Alpine still has killer interfaces and their new 505 and 203 double din navigation bluetooth packages are impressive (actually replaced my 4 year old Pioneer flip out in my shop demo truck with the new IVA-W505/P1 unit this month because I was so impressed).

We still sell tons of Pioneer navigation units due to the great price point for features offered. New car dealer accounts that we service prefer them hands down to any manufacturer. Remember, Pioneer still holds the number one spot for aftermarket car stereos sold by volume (one in every three aftermarket car stereos is a Pioneer-they have held that record for at least 4 years that I can remember).

Anymore, it just comes down to what interface you like the best because the manu's are all getting down to similar price points for features offered. Basically, do some internet research but visit a few local retailers with working displays and see which one you like best for the money...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt,

A Tech at my company cleaned the contacts on my unit with a Q-Tip and some contact cleaner. The intermittent power-downs have since ceased. I no longer remove the face-plate from my unit under any circumstances.

I think I'll stick with the Pioneer until it bites the dust.

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts