AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sent mistakenly a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD as a setup box (mine won't have the DVR eventually, the 8350.) Trying to setup the Pioneer DVR-633 using the IR blaster that came with it, I'm finding that none of the codes will work. The box is for Time Warner High Definition in New York City. Wondering if anyone else was able to get this to work. Blaster is plugged into the g-link.

I will say this much, the high definition DVR is really impressive. Not just picture but moreso the ease of use of the TV Guide, the speed and more. I'll be sorry that it's gone but won't need it if I can get setup to work properly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 cable box, and the 633 can change its channels just fine (although I no longer have it set up to do that). It didn't work the first time I tried it - apparently because I didn't have the end of the cable positioned in the right spot. I ended up running it under the box and using the weight of the box to hold the emitter in place with the tip sticking out the front of the box in the center of it (and pointing up). I didn't see Scientific Atlanta listed in the TV Guide setup (perhaps because I didn't know to scroll down), but when selecting an unlisted box, it turned out to be one of the first (maybe the second) one tested.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nocturnal. It is just in the spot you mentioned and in the right position. There is an choice for Scientific Atlanta. None of those codes work nor the alternates suggested. The TV Guide's ability to search for other codes is exceedingly slow and none of the other alternate codes work (in addition non-supported SA codes).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
slinky,

As someone who also has the SA8300HD you may be better off splitting off the cable, one to the STB, and the other to the DVD recorder. That way the recorder can download the EPG I know you love so much with as little fuss as possible, plus you can record analog channels directly. Let the 8300HD's built-in HDD record the digital content, which you can then transfer to the DVD recorder.

You *might* be able to simply take advantage of the DVD recorder's RF pass through, but some have reported that this interfered with the STB's ability to communicate back with the company server. I would say to try this first, and if you can still order your pay per view and video on demand it's working properly. Otherwise just use a good quality splitter.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dawg -- I have the cable split and the EPG works "fine." LOL. ;) I'm getting rid of the 8300HD box because I don't need to spend an extra $9 per month when I have a DVR, whichever one I end up keeping by the end of the month.

I'm supposed to get a Scientific Atlanta 8350 HD STB delivered next week so I figure the IR code should be the same. Unfortunately there is just no code that the Pioneer puts out that will toggle the Time Warner SA 8300HD box to change channels. Someone else must have a digital HD Time Warner box in NYC with a Pioneer. Additionally, I can't figure out a way for the 633 to "know" that I am using an HD box so autotuning the channels will require a lot more than just up to 125.

Regarding the EPG, it's tough being teased how quick the TV Guide responds on cable and how easy it is to program on the 8300HD...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.