AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Bummer. Guess I should get serious about replacing my aging player. It a question which will give out first the player or the discs will rot.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I know they still sold their combi LD/DVD player, but what are the other two players the article mentioned? The X0 and X9?

I've got a CLD-99 that still works quite well, but if I need to replace it in a mad dash, I'd like to know…

·
Registered
1,161 Posts

I know they still sold their combi LD/DVD player, but what are the other two players the article mentioned? The X0 and X9?

I've got a CLD-99 that still works quite well, but if I need to replace it in a mad dash, I'd like to know[/QUOTE

X9 production ceased in 2002. It was made from 1996 to 2002. I'm not sure about the X0. Production started in 1995 and I think it was only manufactured for a year or two. The X9 essentially succeced it.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor74 /forum/post/15562984

X9 production ceased in 2002. It was made from 1996 to 2002. I'm not sure about the X0. Production started in 1995 and I think it was only manufactured for a year or two. The X9 essentially succeced it.

Then I guess the question remains what the "other" two models are.

I suspect they were actually karaoke players of some type for the Japanese market rather than LD players per se.

·
Banned
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to Akihabara News website page the above mentioned Engadget article links to:

"This is a sad day for all LD (Laser Disc) fans... Pioneer is stopping the production of their three latest LD players, the DVL-919, DVK-900 and DVL-K88...

For your information, Pioneer sold over 3.6 Million LD players in Japan from 1981 to 2002."

My guess is that the letter K in the model numbers seem to point to karaoke LD players.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, I think they were karaoke. I only remember the DVL-919 from Pioneer's US site, last time I checked.

I'm actually surprised laserdisc lasted for so long into the DVD era. That's a durable format.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts