AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a Pioneer KRP-500A (Kuro elite 9.5g panel) that I have the chance to move to my 2nd home.

The main reasons to consider moving it are:

1) get a bigger one 55

2) TV doesn't have 3D

3) media box is just taking up too much space and my main home is a small apartment and space is at a premium.

The TV is a little over two years old.

The picture on the pioneer has been the best and I still am not fully sold on LED. atleast how they are setup in stores its seems artificially bright--however, I am willing to give the latest panels a shot. I already have a midrange 6000 series samsung in my bedroom and it can't hold a candle to my Kuro, but then again it was a lot cheaper and i haven't spend a whole lot of time calibrating it. I don't care about the slimness of panels and frankly everything today is slimmer than the pioneer.

The plasmas I have seen here in Hong Kong are Panasonic (rare) and some very expensive german brand called Metz.

Should I look at any of the newer LEDs? the guy at the store was pushing Sony 55HX920 and HX850 but even he told me nothing will match the Pio.

I don't want to get a downgrade so should i stick to the Pio and get one of the midrange LEDs for my 2nd home or are there clear winners in terms of picture quality that I should consider?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Panasonic plasmas are the closest IMHO. Go for 65vt50 for ~$3K and sell your Kuro for $1500. I own 500a as well and returned 55vt50.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter  /t/1421078/pioneer-krp-500a-replacement#post_22234779

Hello I have a Pioneer KRP-500A (Kuro elite 9.5g panel) that I have the chance to move to my 2nd home.

The main reasons to consider moving it are:

1) get a bigger one 55

2) TV doesn't have 3D

3) media box is just taking up too much space and my main home is a small apartment and space is at a premium.

The TV is a little over two years old.

The picture on the pioneer has been the best and I still am not fully sold on LED. atleast how they are setup in stores its seems artificially bright--however, I am willing to give the latest panels a shot. I already have a midrange 6000 series samsung in my bedroom and it can't hold a candle to my Kuro, but then again it was a lot cheaper and i haven't spend a whole lot of time calibrating it. I don't care about the slimness of panels and frankly everything today is slimmer than the pioneer.

The plasmas I have seen here in Hong Kong are Panasonic (rare) and some very expensive german brand called Metz.

Should I look at any of the newer LEDs? the guy at the store was pushing Sony 55HX920 and HX850 but even he told me nothing will match the Pio.

I don't want to get a downgrade so should i stick to the Pio and get one of the midrange LEDs for my 2nd home or are there clear winners in terms of picture quality that I should consider?
keep the krp, and wait for oled

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have both a 65VT50 and a KRP-500m. The 500m is the clear winner still, however if you want a bigger screen the 65VT50 puts up a really good fight

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1421078/pioneer-krp-500a-replacement#post_22239864

How long? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years?
whatever it takes, the krp is still not beaten, other than gimmicks,3d, smart tv

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
No 9th gen Kuro panel has been soundly beaten. And the evidence of OLED taking flight this year grows increasingly less likely as time passes.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324  /t/1421078/pioneer-krp-500a-replacement#post_22235407

I have both a 65VT50 and a KRP-500m. The 500m is the clear winner still, however if you want a bigger screen the 65VT50 puts up a really good fight

How do the black levels compare?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo22  /t/1421078/pioneer-krp-500a-replacement#post_22241073

How do the black levels compare?

If the 500a uses the same brightness scale/steps as the 500m, the VT50 is around 2-3 brightness clicks brighter. I did a side by side test to verify this. Without the TVs being next to each other, I really only notice the black level difference in low-apl scenes on the VT50. Mid-High APL scenes look the same and black borders blend into the bezel

·
Banned
11,423 Posts
^Good to know. So, I guess it would be 1-2 brightness clicks brighter than he other 9th gen panels.
Panasonic may finally catch up next year.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13  /t/1421078/pioneer-krp-500a-replacement#post_22243142

According to D-Nice the VT50 is a good enough replacement for the 500A/500m.
has he replaced his with one then:) as i said yes if you want gimmicks, such as 3d, smart tv

·
Registered
8,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy 

has he replaced his with one then:) as i said yes if you want gimmicks, such as 3d, smart tv

He actually owns at least four KUROs. He said that if one of his KUROs would break he would replace it by a VT50 . I'm having a hard time believing this but that is what he said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts