AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

long time lurker...big fan of the forum! So I have finally made the jump on to the Kuro world and have some basic questions. Before I posted this I did read the NORTH AMERICAN KRP-M FAQ, and got a bit confused when I read this section:

Q. Should I use the D-Nice break-in? Can I watch regular programming while running his procedure?

a. If you want to use the D-Nice 500M reference settings you should use the D-Nice break-in. There are currently no 600M reference settings and there are no Signature/KRP ISFccc reference settings. If you don't intend to use the D-Nice settings or your KRP will be calibrated then you don't need to follow his procedure. The documented procedure doesn't say you can deviate by watching other content.

So my question is: What is the first thing I should do when my 500M arrives as far as plug in and do? I cannot just power on and just watch television or does the monitor need to "break-in" or be calibrated? I know for a fact its new in box and has not been Calibrated yet so I wanted to get a little advice from the pros. Thank you

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanV /forum/post/17008833

So my question is: What is the first thing I should do when my 500M arrives as far as plug in and do? I cannot just power on and just watch television or does the monitor need to "break-in" or be calibrated? I know for a fact its new in box and has not been Calibrated yet so I wanted to get a little advice from the pros. Thank you

Congratulations on your new Kuro.

You should verify that the panel is intact and functioning by turning it on. Break-in is optional. Like all Kuros they are cooked at the factory and beyond there is much disagreement about further break-in, content to avoid, techniques to use. This is discussed at length in the Settings thread and in the 9G thread. However unless you plan on using the D-Nice settings there's no reason to use his break-in process. He's made that quite clear.

By the way that answer in the FAQ is a tiny bit different now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

This is unrelated to the above posts, but I have a very specific question regarding the KRP-500M and thought I'd post it here rather than starting another thread. My KRP-500M will be arriving at the end of the week.

To owners of the KRP-500M who use the KRP-TS02 Tabletop stand:

How much space (in inches) is there from the bottom edge of the television to the base of the stand? I recently purchased a surround sound system and would like to know if a center speaker stand will be necessary (I'd rather not cover up the Pioneer logo, if possible).

Thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman /forum/post/17166049

Hi,

This is unrelated to the above posts, but I have a very specific question regarding the KRP-500M and thought I'd post it here rather than starting another thread. My KRP-500M will be arriving at the end of the week.

To owners of the KRP-500M who use the KRP-TS02 Tabletop stand:

How much space (in inches) is there from the bottom edge of the television to the base of the stand? I recently purchased a surround sound system and would like to know if a center speaker stand will be necessary (I'd rather not cover up the Pioneer logo, if possible).

Thanks.

Although not the KRP-TS02, I have the PDK-TS23. There's a meager 2" from the 500M's bottom edge to the top of the stand. Quickly down loaded the manual for the KRP-TS02 for comparison. http://www.pioneer-america.com/PUSA/...P-TS02.Support

Page 16 identifies 2 9/16" from the bottom of the set (101FD & 500M have identical panel height in the figure) to what the stand sits on. I did not see the thickness of the base. The thickness of my TS23 is 1" height.

So, bases are the same thickness, there is 1 9/16" from the bottom edge of the TV to the top of surface of the stand.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayman /forum/post/17166413

Wow, that's disappointing. Guess I'll have to place the center speak on a shelf below the TV (about 4 inches down). Not ideal, but it'll have to do, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Totally understand. I also wanted the center channel speaker to sit ontop of the stand but had to settle with it on the shelf below. Good news - You'll instantly forget all about center channel placement when you feed the KRP-500M with an HD source.

·
Registered
845 Posts
First-time-plasma-owner-to-be here - besides checking for obvious cracks in the glass and powering the set on, what else should I be inspecting for before the delivery driver leaves? Thanks.

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:

Wow, that's disappointing. Guess I'll have to place the center speak on a shelf below the TV (about 4 inches down). Not ideal, but it'll have to do, I guess.

Thanks for your help.

Or you could wall mount the plasma at the exact height you need to clear the top of the speaker.

·
Banned
2,580 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

That shouldn't be an issue as most center channel speakers are typically located below the screen and in many high end systems the center speaker (which is often quite large) sits on a stand on the floor. My center speaker (Snell THX500 21x9x8) sits below my TV and to help compensate I have angled the speaker slightly up so that the direct line of sound is at my head when I'm watching TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts