AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new 5020 for almost 3 months now and absolutely love it. A couple things I'm wondering or noticing. I followed D-Nice settings for movie mode, and it just seems to not pack that much of a punch on blu-ray movies. It seems to make the picture to dulll, not enough color, or something. I was watching Watchmen, and flipping through movie and standard with similar settings, and the standard creates a much more vibrant, bright, HD looking picture to me with more punch. I don't know why, maybe I'm doing something wrong. BTW, not sure if it matters, but I'm using PS3 as player.

Also, I see a lot of settings, but they leave out a lot like Room Light Sensor? Are you supposed to turn that on or off? I've noticed it creates quite a difference in picture between on and off.

One more question. Im not sure on the differences on pure cinema whether it should be off, standard, advanced or what? I don't know what each one does. Thanks so much for everybodies help.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverking /forum/post/16915335

I've had my new 5020 for almost 3 months now and absolutely love it. A couple things I'm wondering or noticing. I followed D-Nice settings for movie mode, and it just seems to not pack that much of a punch on blu-ray movies. It seems to make the picture to dulll, not enough color, or something. I was watching Watchmen, and flipping through movie and standard with similar settings, and the standard creates a much more vibrant, bright, HD looking picture to me with more punch. I don't know why, maybe I'm doing something wrong. BTW, not sure if it matters, but I'm using PS3 as player.

Also, I see a lot of settings, but they leave out a lot like Room Light Sensor? Are you supposed to turn that on or off? I've noticed it creates quite a difference in picture between on and off.

One more question. Im not sure on the differences on pure cinema whether it should be off, standard, advanced or what? I don't know what each one does. Thanks so much for everybodies help.

I have a KRP-500M, not a 5020, so my experience may be slightly different than yours.

I am no expert, but since no one else has chimed in, I will give you my understanding of how all of this works...

I use "pure" mode, which is supposed to be the most "accurate". The 5020 doesn't have pure mode, but I believe Movie mode is similar. I find that the other modes while often brighter, can create other image issues. I played with "Standard" for a while, but ended up going back to "Pure".

Both Movie and Pure modes may produce a "dimmer" picture than you may be used to. Especially if you are used to watching an LCD or other overly bright display. These modes are best suited for watching in a darker environment. Not necessarily in the dark, but certainly "light controlled". The D-NICE and other calibrated settings are designed to be used in this environment.

I have my KRP in a room with LOTS of windows, so I have a lot of light throughout the day. I find that the picture starts to look it's best around dinner time, and continues to improve as the sun goes down.

If you don't think your picture has "enough punch" then you may want to turn up certain controls. This MAY make your picture "less accurate", but what matters to most people is what it looks like to them. If it is too dim for you, then try turning up the brightness or contrast. Try some of the contrast expanding controls (like DRE) and see what they do on different types of source material.

You can't hurt anything by trying different settings - just make minor change and see what you think. I will tweak some of them and then watch them for a couple of days and see if I like it better. I know I ended up boosting contrast a little because I tend to watch more TV during the day.

TV picture quality is a very subjective thing. For me, the D-NICE settings are a great place to start. Every TV is different though, and there is much debate about whether the settings should be used on other TV's (even of the same model), because of production variations.

I say start there, and then play with the controls until you find something that works for you. By playing with the traditional Brightness/Contrast/Color controls, you will find something that works for you. Feel free to try anything though - just make small changes and toggle the before/after and see what you think.

The pure Cinema settings effect the refresh rate of the panel, and how is handle film-based sources. It will have a subtle effect on the picture quality, and will not achieve the effect you are looking for.

You will find MANY posts on this, some of which have changed over time, but I leave mine on "standard", which I believe is supposed to use the 72Hz fresh only for 1080p/24 material.

If none of this means anything to you, then I would try the different modes and see what you think of them. If they all look the same to you, then leave it on Standard.

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 /forum/post/16935929

I have a KRP-500M, not a 5020, so my experience may be slightly different than yours.

I am no expert, but since no one else has chimed in, I will give you my understanding of how all of this works...

I use "pure" mode, which is supposed to be the most "accurate". The 5020 doesn't have pure mode, but I believe Movie mode is similar. I find that the other modes while often brighter, can create other image issues. I played with "Standard" for a while, but ended up going back to "Pure".

Both Movie and Pure modes may produce a "dimmer" picture than you may be used to. Especially if you are used to watching an LCD or other overly bright display. These modes are best suited for watching in a darker environment. Not necessarily in the dark, but certainly "light controlled". The D-NICE and other calibrated settings are designed to be used in this environment.

I have my KRP in a room with LOTS of windows, so I have a lot of light throughout the day. I find that the picture starts to look it's best around dinner time, and continues to improve as the sun goes down.

If you don't think your picture has "enough punch" then you may want to turn up certain controls. This MAY make your picture "less accurate", but what matters to most people is who it looks to them. if it's is too dim for you, then try turning up the brightness or contrast. Try some of the contrast expanding controls (like DRE) and see what they do on different types of source material.

You can't hurt anything by trying different settings - just make minor change and see what you think. I will tweak some of them and then watch them for a couple of days and see if I like it better. I know I ended up boosting contrast a little because I tend to watch more TV during the day.

TV picture quality is a very subjective thing. For me, the D-NICE settings are a great place to start. Every TV is different though, and there is much debate about whether the settings should be used on other TV's of the same model, because of production variations.

I say start there, and then play with the controls until you find something that works for you. By playing with the traditional Brightness/Contrast/Color controls, you will find something that works for you. Feel free to try anything though - just make small changes and toggle the before/after and see what you think.

The pure Cinema settings effect the refresh rate of the panel, and how is handle film-based sources. It will have a subtle effect on the picture quality, and will not achieve the effect you are looking for.

You will fine MANY posts on this, some of which have changed over time, but I leave mine on "standard", which I believe is supposed to use the 72Hz fresh only for 1080p/24 material.

If none of that means anything to you, I would try the different modes and see what you think of them, if they all look the same to you, then leave is on Standard.

I hope this helps...

I am also a new owner of the KRP-500m. I think you may be incorrect in your understanding of the advanced cinema mode. I believe "standard" accepts the 1080p/24p signal at 60hz. And "Advanced" is the one that takes the 1080p/24p signal natively with the 72hz refresh rate. (I could be wrong though!)

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kevin- /forum/post/16935970

I am also a new owner of the KRP-500m. I think you may be incorrect in your understanding of the advanced cinema mode. I believe "standard" accepts the 1080p/24p signal at 60hz. And "Advanced" is the one that takes the 1080p/24p signal natively with the 72hz refresh rate. (I could be wrong though!)

There has certainly been MUCH discussion about the PC settings. I am going by this post, after one AVS member made a device to measure the refresh rate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16778111

This shows that Standard uses 72Hz refresh only for 1080/24p material. Advanced converts everything to 72Hz.

I thought the table made sense with the descriptions also:

PC Off leaves everything at 60Hz

PC Standard converts only 24p to 60Hz

PC Advanced converts everything to 72Hz

I have seen MANY contradictory (and heated!) posts about these settings though. I went with this one because he was able to measure the refresh rates...

·
Registered
196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 /forum/post/16936288

There has certainly been MUCH discussion about the PC settings. I am going by this post, after one AVS member made a device to measure the refresh rate.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post16778111

This shows that Standard uses 72Hz refresh only for 1080/24p material. Advanced converts everything to 72Hz.

I thought the table made sense with the descriptions also:

PC Off leaves everything at 60Hz

PC Standard converts only 24p to 60Hz

PC Advanced converts everything to 72Hz

I have seen MANY contradictory (and heated!) posts about these settings though. I went with this one because he was able to measure the refresh rates...

I wasn't aware of that. Interesting finding!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.