AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one do you guys think is better?


I'm having a really hard time figuring out what TV I want to buy



Since the 61 in Samsung LED DLP was on backorder on Crutchfield, I decided to purchase it because I knew I would have time to decide or not (It still hasn't shipped)


I had wanted to get a Sony XBR6 but all of the deals during the christmas season are gone and I didn't have the money at the time to get it.


Now I see the Kuro might be on sale at BB soon.


I decided to go to BB to look at all the TV's. I was kind of dissapointed in the Samsung DLP's picture quality but I heard not to trust the in store display. Of course I was wow'd again by the XBR6's PQ and checked out the Kuro but was a tad dissapointed. It looked dark and bland compared to the Sony. I also like that 3-d effect that the XBR6 gives.


Could it just be that the Kuro wasn't calibrated properly for the store? I have heard amazing reviews on it so I expected to be amazed. Also the set didn't say Kuro it just said PDP-5020FD, Is this right? Also the set was hanging high on the wall so I don't know if that would've made a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you guys serious? It is that much better?


Can someone answer my other questions?


Also would it be inadvisable to use this as an HTPC as well. Is burn-in still a problem? I saw there was a 150 hour break-in period.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572832


Are you guys serious?

very.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572832


is that much better?

yup.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572832


Is burn-in still a problem? I saw there was a 150 hour break-in period.

Search the threads and research. Burn-in is not a problem and 150 break-in period is recommended, but I never did it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,738 Posts

Quote:
I decided to go to BB to look at all the TV's. I was kind of dissapointed in the Samsung DLP's picture quality but I heard not to trust the in store display. Of course I was wow'd again by the XBR6's PQ and checked out the Kuro but was a tad dissapointed. It looked dark and bland compared to the Sony. I also like that 3-d effect that the XBR6 gives.

You probably won't get that 3-d effect from the Kuro if I think I know what you are observing.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572421


Which one do you guys think is better?


I'm having a really hard time figuring out what TV I want to buy





I decided to go to BB to look at all the TV's. I was kind of dissapointed in the Samsung DLP's picture quality but I heard not to trust the in store display. Of course I was wow'd again by the XBR6's PQ and checked out the Kuro but was a tad dissapointed. It looked dark and bland compared to the Sony. I also like that 3-d effect that the XBR6 gives.

You were disappointed with the Kuro in the store? I can assure you, wait till you get that TV home. Never trust a picture in the store. Way to many people screwing with the settings. That 3D effect you are referring to is ME (motion enhancement). Trust me, I had a Sony TV and even my kids made me turn that feature off. It is ridiculous and unrealistic. Comparing those 2 TVs is a joke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 /forum/post/15573125


You or I might not care for the 3-d effect but obviously the original poster likes that look.

He'll find it annoying in no time. It's a gimmick and a bad one at that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbiechris /forum/post/15573144


He'll find it annoying in no time. It's a gimmick and a bad one at that.

Some people like that effect. You know different strokes for different folks. This proves we all have our different preferences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572832


Are you guys serious? It is that much better?


Can someone answer my other questions?


Also would it be inadvisable to use this as an HTPC as well. Is burn-in still a problem? I saw there was a 150 hour break-in period.

I use my 5020fd with a HTPC setup with no problem. I ran movies with the black bars and stuff, no break-in, many times already. I still haven't seen my first image retention, much less burn-in.


With that said. I actually like the 3D effect you seen on the XBR6 on games (Samsung has something similar called AMP). I see its value in playing games, which in my opinion, is unnatural to begin with, so it enhance it in that respect. I still think the Kuro is better out of the two TV, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,777 Posts
Another vote for the kuro here- but I would go one step further and enter the panasonic pz800u into the mix.


Sure the kuro is the best, but the panasonic will beat the pants off the xbr6 (IMO of course) and in addition it'll likely cost considerably less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Like most others have said, no contest, really.


Plus, starting this Sunday, there will be a very tempting price for the kuro at BB.

I'm staring at and starting to loath this old 30" 130lb. crt that's laughing in my face.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita /forum/post/15572421


Which one do you guys think is better?


I'm having a really hard time figuring out what TV I want to buy



Since the 61 in Samsung LED DLP was on backorder on Crutchfield, I decided to purchase it because I knew I would have time to decide or not (It still hasn't shipped)


I had wanted to get a Sony XBR6 but all of the deals during the christmas season are gone and I didn't have the money at the time to get it.


Now I see the Kuro might be on sale at BB soon.


I decided to go to BB to look at all the TV's. I was kind of dissapointed in the Samsung DLP's picture quality but I heard not to trust the in store display. Of course I was wow'd again by the XBR6's PQ and checked out the Kuro but was a tad dissapointed. It looked dark and bland compared to the Sony. I also like that 3-d effect that the XBR6 gives.


Could it just be that the Kuro wasn't calibrated properly for the store? I have heard amazing reviews on it so I expected to be amazed. Also the set didn't say Kuro it just said PDP-5020FD, Is this right? Also the set was hanging high on the wall so I don't know if that would've made a difference.


Forget DLP there are too many moving parts to fail.


Kuro is plasma they burn in (hence the "break in" period, that is basically controlled burn-in as the screen loses much of it's brightness in the beginning) and they band and dither. Plasma is dim compared to LCD and seems to struggle to get bright whites, so if you want a brighter screen that you don't get burn in from the Sony is good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts
Huh?


Who told you they are brighter during the first 150hrs? I have taken readings at both unboxing, and at 150 hours. There was no difference in peak light output. The biggest changes occured with grayscale tracking, and chromaticity shifts.


Banding?


Dithering happens, yes, but you'd have to sit relatively close to see it.


I won't even touch the whites comment.


If plasmas burn in, then LCDs have poor black levels, severe motion blur, inaccurate color, sever screen uniformity, and the list goes on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Trojita, both plasma and LCD technologies have their boosters/fanatics. They mean well, but what they say/think may not necessarily be what's best for you.


I've been impressed by both sets. Best thing to do probably is to view both sets a LOT, with a variety of whatever source material you're going to use the most (sports, Blu-ray action movies, games- whatever it is that you do), and then make up your own mind as to which you like better.


They're both excellent sets, and I doubt you're going to be disappointed either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
Op the kuro is much better no question end of discussion and closed thread.





i agree

QUOTE=cubbiechris;15572953]very.


yup.


Search the threads and research. Burn-in is not a problem and 150 break-in period is recommended, but I never did it.[/quote]



once again agree
Quote:
Originally Posted by buylongterm /forum/post/15573108


You were disappointed with the Kuro in the store? I can assure you, wait till you get that TV home. Never trust a picture in the store. Way to many people screwing with the settings. That 3D effect you are referring to is ME (motion enhancement). Trust me, I had a Sony TV and even my kids made me turn that feature off. It is ridiculous and unrealistic. Comparing those 2 TVs is a joke.

This is very missleading information

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC19 /forum/post/15576651


Forget DLP there are too many moving parts to fail.


Kuro is plasma they burn in (hence the "break in" period, that is basically controlled burn-in as the screen loses much of it's brightness in the beginning) and they band and dither. Plasma is dim compared to LCD and seems to struggle to get bright whites, so if you want a brighter screen that you don't get burn in from the Sony is good.

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism /forum/post/15576853


Huh?


Who told you they are brighter during the first 150hrs? I have taken readings at both unboxing, and at 150 hours. There was no difference in peak light output. The biggest changes occured with grayscale tracking, and chromaticity shifts.


Banding?


Dithering happens, yes, but you'd have to sit relatively close to see it.


I won't even touch the whites comment.


If plasmas burn in, then LCDs have poor black levels, severe motion blur, inaccurate color, sever screen uniformity, and the list goes on.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15576942


Trojita, both plasma and LCD technologies have their boosters/fanatics. They mean well, but what they say/think may not necessarily be what's best for you.


I've been impressed by both sets. Best thing to do probably is to view both sets a LOT, with a variety of whatever source material you're going to use the most (sports, Blu-ray action movies, games- whatever it is that you do), and then make up your own mind as to which you like better.


They're both excellent sets, and I doubt you're going to be disappointed either way.

I agree.


Also, there a few reasons why I would not recommend the 5020 over the XBR6.
 
1 - 20 of 122 Posts
Top