AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer KURO PDP-5080HD...

I have been trying out some of the wireless htib kits that only have 1 hdmi out and 1 optical digital in...

for simplicity sake we'll use this as my setup...

Scenario (1)

cable/dvr ---> hdmi---> tv

dvd---> hdmi----> tv

receiver (built in dvd)----> hdmi---> tv

without any other connections i would only get sound out of the built in dvd on the receiver...

Scenario (2)

same as (1) with this connection

cable/dvr---> optical (toslink) ---> receiver

Now will get sound out on cable/dvr

Scenario (3)

same as (1) with just this connection

tv---> optical (toslink) to --> receiver

now i get no sound from cable box...only get sound on cable line going directly into ant1 on the tv

Scenario (4)

same as (1) with just this connection

tv---> rca cables (ie red/white)---> receiver

now get sound (granted just stereo) for cable box, cable in ant 1, etc...

why would scenario 3 not produce any sound?

i guess my goal was to have all my components (including receiver) go through my hdmi inputs on the tv then pipe the audio back to the receiver using the digital out on the tv into the receiver...

short run i can run with scenario (2) and eliminate the extra dvd player (non-blue ray)...but if i ever wanted to add blu-ray or gaming system i either have to deal with just stereo over red/white cable from tv or would have to get a better receiver that has hdmi repeater built-in (eg onkyo 6100/7100)

i hope i explained this well and would like any comments or suggestions on best way to handle current situation and any possible future expansions...

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
9,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoocH /forum/post/15421371

i guess my goal was to have all my components (including receiver) go through my hdmi inputs on the tv then pipe the audio back to the receiver using the digital out on the tv into the receiver...

That won't work on most TVs. Usually, the optical output only provides multichannel souind from the set's own internal tuner. External components get output as stereo PCM.

I'm not sure I understand your goal. Why try to use your TV as an audio switcher? Why not run audio through your receiver the way it's designed to be done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just downloaded my manual online...this is what it says...

When using the digital audio output terminal (optical), you

need to make settings depending on your AV receiver. For more

information, see the instruction manual that came with the AV

receiver.

• For details, refer to the operation manual for the audio

equipment to be connected.

• Audio signals synchronized with currently displayed images

are always output to the AUDIO OUT terminals.

• The audio accompanying the images shown on the display are

always output to the SUBWOOFER output terminal.

• When signals are input from the HDMI terminals, no signals

are output from the DIGITAL OUT terminal.

does the last bullet point mean that i won't get any sound out since it's input from hdmi? if so that seems pretty ridiculous...why wouldn't you be able to ouput sound from a similar to better input?

·
Registered
9,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoocH /forum/post/15421912

• When signals are input from the HDMI terminals, no signals

are output from the DIGITAL OUT terminal.

does the last bullet point mean that i won't get any sound out since it's input from hdmi?

Yes. Seems pretty clear.

Quote:
if so that seems pretty ridiculous...why wouldn't you be able to ouput sound from a similar to better input?

It's a TV, not a receiver. Why do you want to turn it into one?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
like i said in the original post i was playing around with the wireless htib kits...they only have one digital in and 1 hdmi out...so i was hoping that since the tv had 4 hdmi inputs that i'd be able to send the sound back to the receiver via the digital cable for anything that came through the tv inputs...obviously i was wrong...damn i hate when logical thoughts don't pan out...haha...

so i guess if i want to use more than just my cable/dvr with my setup that i'll have to ditch the wireless rear systems and buck up for something that has a nice receiver with hdmi inputs...

·
Registered
53 Posts
That won't work on most TVs. Usually, the optical output only provides multichannel souind from the set's own internal tuner. External components get output as stereo PCM.

not really if i hook my pc to the receiver with optical the receiver can only play stereo. when i hook it to the lcd to receiver i get 5.1. most people that i knew hook up everything to the lcd with hdmi than optical from lcd to receiver. why? why not? dvd, pc, or ps3 needs the tv to be on to see whats goin on anyway. why change this on the receiver to get this and that? I dont know about most lcd but my toshiba regza work.

nooch you should try it b4 to and see which way it work for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when you are saying stereo pcm can i assume that means only over the red/white cables? i would have hoped it would have went out over digital too (even if only at stereo)...

5354...you are saying exactly what i tried i think...hdmi from components to tv...and digital out to receiver...but i get no sound out of the digital out...

·
Registered
9,313 Posts
Sorry, 5354, what you are suggesting is incorrect and I find your posts more than a little difficult to understand. It's possible that your particular TV passes multichanel audio. But, most TVs don't and the Kuro specifically says it won't pass any audio input from HDMI back out over optical. What's your point here?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.