AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a reputable local retailer has a "trade-in" unit. It is display-only, for $1599. The sales rep claimed about 2000 hours on the set. I watched some blu-ray material on it today, and it looked amazing (as expected).

Of course, I am a bit nervous buying something that is used vs. new. The tv I've been looking at is the Panasonic TCP50VT25...but the Kuro has always been my dream television.

Am I better off buying a new Panny for several hundred dollars more? or getting the Kuro (used) at $1599??? The Kuro does come with a limited warranty, as well I can probably purchases an extended warranty...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow /forum/post/19561315

I'm fairly certian that 90% of us would recommend buying it. Because that's a decent price for 111, used or not.

Thanks for the feedback...Is there anything you would recommend I verify before purchasing? I would like to give it a thorough inspection, but really don't know what to look for other than the obvious cosmetic and screen blemishes one might find...

I would also like to verify the hours, but it seems like it's a fairly difficult task...Would a high end dealer like the one selling this set be expected to perform this type of check? Just wondering what would be reasonable proof on their part that the set does actually only have around 2,000 hours on it...

thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
2000 hours = 8 hours on per day for 250 straight days

·
Registered
99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsokar /forum/post/19561247

So a reputable local retailer has a "trade-in" unit. It is display-only, for $1599.

Do you mean it does not have speakers or tuners? If so its not a 111 its a 101, an even better display according to those in the know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsokar /forum/post/19561347

Thanks for the feedback...Is there anything you would recommend I verify before purchasing? I would like to give it a thorough inspection, but really don't know what to look for other than the obvious cosmetic and screen blemishes one might find...

Ask to have it hooked up so you can check for DSE (dirty screen effect). Its a deffect in the anti-glare coating that all Pio plasmas have to some degree. It shows up when the camera pans verticaly over a large light-coloured area of the screen. You might want to bring along a DVD or Blu-Ray you know contains such a camera shot. Some screens have it worse than others. Some people can't see it while others can't stand it. Check for yourself before buying.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The BB in Porter Ranch, CA has a 101 for the same price. Either is great at this price.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/19566133

The kind that is a sucker for the "latest and greatest" (3D)? I would've trade it in for a 101FD or 500M, but nothing else. ;-)

well my 600m was stolen. so if ihad the chance to buy it back for 3 grand id be all over it after i killed the seller. in short, buy it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know these TV's are getting harder to find but you may be surprised if you spend some time looking around. I was at a local best buy last week and picked up a new in box 101FD for that price. Also, unless you are getting a warranty or something you may be able to negotiate a better deal locally and save some cash.

·
Registered
28 Posts
what is the BB part number for it? I want to see if I can get a guy in a local store to see if there are any around my area.

what is your area? Where did you find that 101?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsokar /forum/post/0

So a reputable local retailer has a "trade-in" unit. It is display-only, for $1599. The sales rep claimed about 2000 hours on the set. I watched some blu-ray material on it today, and it looked amazing (as expected).

Of course, I am a bit nervous buying something that is used vs. new. The tv I've been looking at is the Panasonic TCP50VT25...but the Kuro has always been my dream television.

Am I better off buying a new Panny for several hundred dollars more? or getting the Kuro (used) at $1599??? The Kuro does come with a limited warranty, as well I can probably purchases an extended warranty...

Just make sure you do not see the green trails I saw when viewing the Elite. I took an Elite back last year do to the fact I picked up color trails during motion! I was bummed out because the blacks and colors were awesome.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by belsokar

do you have the BB part number? i want to call around to see if i can find it in my area

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.