AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I recently got a PRO-151FD. Haven't started using it yet but plan on setting it up this weekend. I need to clean the screen but I'm honestly a little afraid to. I see Pioneer made (and still sells) a special cleaning cloth for it. Is that necessary or can I use something else? Any tips or recommendations on how to clean the screen without damaging anything?

Never.. And I mean NEVER use normal glass/window cleaner.. There are aggressive parts in it, that can literally etching the screen filter..

Get a dedicated tv/plasma screan cleaner.. I personally use this, but just check amazon, there are tons of other options.. https://www.amazon.com/ROGGE-Screen-Cleaner-Kit-Antibacterial/dp/B01FKHUX0O?th=1

This is how I clean my plasma tvs (and I did it quite often)..

I use a (clean) soft tshirt.. It works the best..

1) I look if there are any parts on the screen that could cause scretches.. So first I gentle and without pressure ged rid of visible dust on the screen with the tshirt.
2) I put some water on the tshirt.. just a bit
3) I spray the screen with the screen cleaner
4) I wipe the screen (it really does not matter how you do it)
5) I take a dry part of the tshirt and wipe the screen dry
6) I put the tshirt into the washing machine :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Never.. And I mean NEVER use normal glass/window cleaner.. There are aggressive parts in it, that can literally etching the screen filter..

Get a dedicated tv/plasma screan cleaner.. I personally use this, but just check amazon, there are tons of other options..

This is how I clean my plasma tvs (and I did it quite often)..

I use a (clean) soft tshirt.. It works the best..

1) I look if there are any parts on the screen that could cause scretches.. So first I gentle and without pressure ged rid of visible dust on the screen with the tshirt.
2) I put some water on the tshirt.. just a bit
3) I spray the screen with the screen cleaner
4) I wipe the screen (it really does not matter how you do it)
5) I take a dry part of the tshirt and wipe the screen dry
6) I put the tshirt into the washing machine :)

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
So now that I've had the 151 for a bit I can see a small amount of red push if I look for it and never notice it in content after adjustments.:) No big deal. Looks like ISF was unlocked but not calibrated that well. I can get a better picture in movie mode and color settings in pro adjust. I have brightness at +2 or +3 and the blacks are great so it's still got some good life left. I know it's been said that nothing can be done about red push but I suspect that's not true. It's not visible in content with my picture settings but that isn't really the same thing. My guess is that this comes from the red phosphors not aging as quickly as the others. Couldn't this be corrected by a constant red screen in a color that fires the red pixels to max while barely or not firing the others. Should make the red level come down? Might take awhile but don't see any reason this wouldn't work unless this isn't the reason for its origin. You could then re-adjust the TV and have it working at near new levels as brightness and blacks seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So now that I've had the 151 for a bit I can see a small amount of red push if I look for it and never notice it in content after adjustments.:) No big deal. Looks like ISF was unlocked but not calibrated that well. I can get a better picture in movie mode and color settings in pro adjust. I have brightness at +2 or +3 and the blacks are great so it's still got some good life left. I know it's been said that nothing can be done about red push but I suspect that's not true. It's not visible in content with my picture settings but that isn't really the same thing. My guess is that this comes from the red phosphors not aging as quickly as the others. Couldn't this be corrected by a constant red screen in a color that fires the red pixels to max while barely or not firing the others. Should make the red level come down? Might take awhile but don't see any reason this wouldn't work unless this isn't the reason for its origin. You could then re-adjust the TV and have it working at near new levels as brightness and blacks seem to hold up well.

In plasma world Green is the hardest color to push brightness... This is the reason why plasmas get a warmer color temp over time.. Some Panasonics had for that reason a larger green subpixel cell, to get more light output from that color.. But in reality these panels will last so long, that electronics will fail before that..

So just reduce red a bit.. Of course a reddish white balance can be adjusted.. I have a 20k plasma, that had 5500k color temp, and it was no problem to get it to 6500k..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

In theory a reddish colour temp like 5500k that uses less green would save the green phospor cells a bit.. but this is not worth it, because you will lose light output and the panel will last for years anyways..
So instead of wearing the red sub pixels more off, just reduce them with white balance control..

·
Registered
843 Posts
The currently more efficient red was the point. No one said to run anything but 6500k. I said run a red screen when not actively watching and there are also blue pixels. Set will not wear out faster or be less bright when adjusted if you simply age the one color that ages slower. It may not be needed or advantageous but I don't think those explanations fit that well.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Get in the service menu and turn down some voltages. Will make the red tint go away.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I would like to find a used 5020FD or 111FD or 101FD...for a couple of hundred. To complete my Triumvirate of Greatest Plasma TVs ever made.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I bought my PRO-111FD back in March 2009 and it's doing fine. I would say I probably have around 20,000 hours on it and it was calibrated by D-Nice back in 2013. I'm interested in an OLED, but I'm not crazy about their motion handling.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
..."much warmer/cool looking compared to OLED."

Sony makes a OLED with a LG Panel but has agony processor which is way better than LG's. Lets put it this way lg had the worst processor in OLEd compared to the competition. The sad thing is that LG Dispay who is a different company than LG makes all of the OLED panels and sells then to: Panasonic, LG and Sony that I know of. Sony and Panasonic are better than the LG's. I know it is confusing and it took me a while as well to wrap my brain around it. The OLED picture is different than plasma, it took me awhile to get used to it, Plasma is much warmer/cool looking compared to OLED. So the blue you are referring to is still there and part of the OLED tech. A properly calibrated OLED blows a Plasma out of the water, not even a fair contest.

Can you clarify ?

·
Premium Member
18,282 Posts
I recently got a PRO-151FD. Haven't started using it yet but plan on setting it up this weekend. I need to clean the screen but I'm honestly a little afraid to. I see Pioneer made (and still sells) a special cleaning cloth for it. Is that necessary or can I use something else? Any tips or recommendations on how to clean the screen without damaging anything?

Don't use any aftermarket cleaning solutions, no matter how safe they claim to be. Many here have ruined their Plasma's delicate outer coating using that stuff.

I pretty much use Panasonic's official method for all my Plasmas and LCD screens - 1 part liquid soap mixed into 100 parts of distilled water (realistically a drop of soap in a bowl of water), then dampen a soft cloth with it and gently wipe the screen clean. Then follow up with a dry soft cloth and gently wipe it dry and to remove any streaks left by the first cloth. Do NOT press hard - the glass is thin and any outer coating it may have will be delicate and easily scuffed with too much pressure. Just buff it. I use large soft Micro-Fiber glass cleaning cloths that i bought at Pep Boys (they have a sorta terry-cloth texture).

Before you start, make sure the TV has been Off for several hours and the screen is stone cold before cleaning it. If it's warm then the cleaning solution will dry immediately and leave streaks before you can reach for the drying/buffing cloth. BTDT.

__

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Don't put any water on a kuro screen. It will mess up the coating.

Reactions: Edllguy

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've been a big fan of my media room PRO-151 that I picked up secondhand several years ago with 2,200 hours for $200. I decided there were enough local classifieds deals to outfit the rest of my house with Kuro panels. In the last two weeks I've bought a PRO-950 ( 4,000 hours, $65) for the guest bedroom, a PRO-110 (7,700 hours, $65) for my bedroom, and a PRO-1150 (22,400 hours, $40) that was supposed to be for my bedroom before I found the 110. All sets have 0 burn in and have been voltage tweaked to look their best.

I found another great deal on a 60" so once I pull the trigger (starting to feel like a hoarder) I think I'll put that in the family room to replace the LCD currently there (was always hesitant to do this because that TV gets abused by my wife, regularly left on the news when no one is around to watch etc) because the price is good enough that I don't feel any need to baby it. She prefers to watch movies in the comfort of the family room so it will be a big win for me on those days where she picks the location.

I'll try to resell the PRO-1150 and I think I should be able to shoot for $100 on it by listing it properly with more photos and information, but we will see. The market isn't so hot with everyone wanting budget 4k sets.
I used to be a huge Kuro fan myself. Owned 4 9g Kuros over time. My last Kuro died a little while back and i replaced it with a Samsung vt30 64" I was extremely surprised to find that in my opinion it has a superior picture to all of the Kuros i had owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my mom a Pioneer Kuro based on the recommendations here, that must have been about a decade ago (edit: after posting I see my join date was in 2008)?
It's still going strong, and she still loves it and still watches her cable news on it every evening after work when she gets on her treadmill. It's probably one of the best electronics purchases I've ever made, and it was thanks to this site. What's funny is that I just logged on for the first time in many many years, because I just bought myself a new TV and have some questions about it, and this is the first thread I see!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Unfortunately, I think my Kuro may be dying. Unless Ive overlooked something in the settings, I think Im down to my last working HDMI port due to power surges and lightning. Im wondering, are there settings in this TV that can turn off ports? Also, Im experiencing white speckles and static (like ch 3 in the old days) flickering on the screen when watching Directv. Ive hooked up straight to the TV and it still happens. Other TVs, no problems. Just the Kuro. All other devices work fine on the Kuro, just not Directv. Curious thing though, I turned off all the resolutions of the DTV DVR and then turned each one back on. I cannot get the 480i and 480p to turn back on. Its as if the Kuro no longer supports these resolutions. Other than this, my Kuro is still going strong after 10yrs!
Heres a video of the problem:

·
Registered
18 Posts
PRO-111FD With Purple shadow on White Bckground

Hi:

I have a PRO-111FD. Over the past month I have noticed purple shading only when the background is white. Does this mean my plasma is going bad, or is there a setting that needs to be tweaked or refreshed?

See the attached image.

Thanks

Attachments

41 - 60 of 117 Posts