AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to purchase a Pioneer monitor (KRP) or TV (Kuro) along with an AV receiver (Harman Kardon AVR 254 or Marantz SR 5003). I have the speakers. I have no cable or satellite tv subscriptions at this time.

Due to the extended ISFccc calibration options available for the KRP, I'd prefer to acquire that one but I don't know if this monitor will alow me to watch all (HD and analog) programs available via:

- OTA

- FTA (satellite TV)

- cable

Do I need an ATSC QAM tuner or a DVD recorder with ATSC? For which type of broadcasts?

What functionality do I loose by not buying a TV?

·
Registered
324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegradas /forum/post/16948403

I plan to purchase a Pioneer monitor (KRP) or TV (Kuro) along with an AV receiver (Harman Kardon AVR 254 or Marantz SR 5003). I have the speakers. I have no cable or satellite tv subscriptions at this time.

Due to the extended ISFccc calibration options available for the KRP, I'd prefer to acquire that one but I don't know if this monitor will alow me to watch all (HD and analog) programs available via:

- OTA

- FTA (satellite TV)

- cable

Do I need an ATSC QAM tuner or a DVD recorder with ATSC? For which type of broadcasts?

What functionality do I loose by not buying a TV?

The KRP comes without a stand, speakers, or the tuner.

No tuner means you need some type of external box to receive/tune your TV channels.

This would normally be an external Tuner, a Digital Cable box, or a Satellite Box. An external tuner could be found in a DVD Recorder with the ATSC (OTA) tuner. QAM is for unscrambled digital cable channels. ATSC is for Digital/HD over the air. There are no more analog over the air channels.

For OTA broadcasts, you need a stand alone ATSC tuner, or a device with one built in (like the DVD recorder). Make sure it has an HDMI or component output - don't get a $49 converter box with only composite outputs.

For Satellite, you would use whatever box comes with your service. Again, I would assume you would want one with an HDMI or component output.

For Cable you would use your Digital Cable box - again with an HDMI or component output.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank a lot for the comprehensive answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aross99 /forum/post/16949441

The KRP comes without a stand, speakers, or the tuner.

No tuner means you need some type of external box to receive/tune your TV channels.

This would normally be an external Tuner, a Digital Cable box, or a Satellite Box. An external tuner could be found in a DVD Recorder with the ATSC (OTA) tuner. QAM is for unscrambled digital cable channels. ATSC is for Digital/HD over the air. There are no more analog over the air channels.

For OTA broadcasts, you need a stand alone ATSC tuner, or a device with one built in (like the DVD recorder). Make sure it has an HDMI or component output - don't get a $49 converter box with only composite outputs.

For Satellite, you would use whatever box comes with your service. Again, I would assume you would want one with an HDMI or component output.

For Cable you would use your Digital Cable box - again with an HDMI or component output.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts