Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 Pioneer Launches PC-Based Blu-ray Disc Drives

Quote:
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today announced one of the industry's first Blu-ray Disc computer drives, expected to revolutionize digital and high-definition media storage. The new Pioneer BDR-101A will utilize shorter wavelength blue lasers in order to store up to 25 gigabytes of information on a single layer Blu-ray Disc. It is expected to begin shipping in the first quarter of 2006.

I just got a Pioneer dual layer burner for Christmas looks like I am going to have to upgrade it a lot sooner than I expected.

I wonder how much the blank media is going to run?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I wonder how much it will cost for the drive and, more importantly, the media. 25gb is a pretty hefty number.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is more:

Pioneer Displays Blu-ray BDR-101A recorder, $995 Price Tag

Looks like the blank media will cost a whopping $50 a disk! :eek:

It also looks like they are releasing a stand alone Blu-Ray player, but if the blanks disks are $50 I would not expect to many movies to be released on that format just yet.

The bright side; when the price finally drops to the point of affordability we might be able to start filtering, scaling and burning our favorite DVDs as enhanced upscaled 720p, 1080I, perhaps even 1080p Blu_Ray DVD's and play them back via HTPC or stand alone Blu_Ray players. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.