AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m close to finishing off my basement and I honestly am not really quite sure what receiver to choose. I’m looking for a 9.2 receiver to support a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup (haven’t decided what sounds better.). I really don’t want to spend any more than $1300-$1400 unless there’s a really good reason why I need to spend more.

The speakers I have are all definitive technology. Some older mythos towers for the front l/r, in wall rls 2 lcr for center speaker, 4 in wall di-8r ceiling speakers (2 for height & 2 for rear surround), and 2 dt-8lcr in wall for surrounds.

All my equipment will be hidden in a cubby behind the TV.
Basically what I’m looking for is these things.
something I can easily connect my Bose wireless headphones to with good Bluetooth connectivity (my couch would probably be around 10-12’ away from receiver)
easily controlled through either phone app, alexa, or Logitech universal remote with ir extender?
Ability to wirelessly stream music from my iPhone
I don’t have a need for 8k anytime soon. My tv is a 75” 4k that I’m perfectly happy with.

So I think I’ve narrowed my choices to below? I know the Pioneer model doesn’t have Alexa/Siri support but as long as it’s easily controlled through an iOS app or universal remote , it’s not that big of a deal.

I’m leaning towards either the Denon or Yamaha, but if the Pioneer serves my purpose just as well, I could save some cash getting it.

Pioneer vsx-lx304
Denon AVR-X3700H
Yamaha RX-a2080

Thanks, and I appreciate any feedback. I did try to compare receivers on zkelectronics.com but would rather hear from others opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
You also need to make sure whatever receiver you choose has Bluetooth transmit and receive. I think the Pioneer only has Bluetooth receive which wont work for your Bose headphones.

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you're OK with a refurb with 2yrs of CPS warranty for 3yrs total, you could get an AVR-X3600H and save a little money. Those savings could go towards an amp and another pair of speakers that lets you do 7.1.4, and you wouldn't have to choose on your Atmos setup.
Since you're OK with 4K instead of 8K, you can avoid the question of whether or not the 8K HDMI chipsets in this years AVRs introduce noise/distortion as was indicated in measurements of the X4700H (which may or may not apply to the X3700H).
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x4700h-2020-avr-review.14188/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denon-avr-x3600h-av-receiver-review.12676/

So I’m close to finishing off my basement and I honestly am not really quite sure what receiver to choose. I’m looking for a 9.2 receiver to support a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup (haven’t decided what sounds better.). I really don’t want to spend any more than $1300-$1400 unless there’s a really good reason why I need to spend more.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Whatever receiver you end up with I would suggest going straight to x.x.4 Atmos for 2 reasons :

1. If you only go .2 to start with you will have to move those speakers if you decided to go .4 in the future.
2. .4 sounds W-A-Y better than .2.

I have done direct back-to-back testing in my room between 5 and 7 ear level speakers and 2,4, and 6 Atmos speakers and 5.1.4 is the sweet spot. It sounds almost indistinguishable from 7.1.6. Yes 7.1.6 is better but not worth the extra $$ IMO. I have actually gone back to just 5.1.4 myself since this allowed me to get rid of an external amp and a pair of speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I appreciate the comments and feedback. I've heard from others that I should do 5.1.4 as well, so I'll try to configure it that way.

After much thought, decided to order the Denon x3700h. I should be getting it delivered today. I know the 3600 was well reviewed and Amir’s post on the 4700 wasn’t exactly positive, but I have 30 days to return it if anything’s wrong. I almost ordered the 3600 since the 3700 lost the front hdmi port, but it was only $100 cheaper for the 3600. Really not that much savings with the 3600 vs the 3700. And the refurb was only $200 cheaper, and I feel much better about getting a new unit.

As for the sub, I decided to go for the SVS sb3000. I have 45 days to try it out, so in case I don’t like it and it doesn’t put out enough bass for me, I can always return and get a ported sub. Dual would be nice but I don’t have the budget at the moment for that.

I definitely can’t wait to get this all set up and try everything out. I’ll update once I do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a FYI - Amir updated the review of the 4700 after working with Denon+ to ID whee in the test setup some anomalies crept in. It is now highly recommended. The 3700 review is in the queue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts