Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum Folks,

I've decided to take the plasma plunge and have read so much material about brands, models, specs, resoultion, black level, etc... that my eyes may never recover. I have decided to buy a 50" plasma, but have a question about models by Pioneer. I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and they both carry a 50" Pioneer plasma that look identical and have indentical specs., but with slightly different model #'s. At Best Buy the model is Pioneer PDP-5031HD; at Circuit City it's PDP-5030HD. Is this essentially the same unit, but different models #'s for reseller purposes?

Also, does anyone have any specific thoughts about best/worst 50" plasma models currently available? Thanks in advance for your help.

Garry Denny

Wisconsin Public Television
http://www.ptvdigital.org

·
Registered
31 Posts
IMHO, My 2 cents, etc.etc. The different model numbers are there just to keep them from having to price match each other.

From all the good posts I've read on this forum, you might want to consider the Pioneer PDP-503CMX (which Dell is sell for around $5700 after a %15 discount and free shipping). There are tons of info on the 503CMX and is more expandable than the consumer line. Do a search on 503CMX and you'll tons of posts on it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Gary:

If you are sold on the Pioneer 50" plasma, take the time to search this forum on information on the Pioneer PDP-503CMX. You will find that the glass and the electronics are equal to the Pioneer Elite 1000 Pro which considered to be the top of the line Pioneer 50 inch plasma display. The 503CMX is superior to the Pioneer 5030HD models and it can be purchased for SIGNIFICANTLY {thousand(s)} less than the Elite Pro 1000 and the 5030HD. Generally, B&M stores do not carry the 503CMX because it is classed as a "commercial" model, however, most on-line plasma vendors do offer the 503CMX.

The 503CMX also has a plug in card - the PDA 5002 which you will need in order to display source signals other than a PC. Some on-line vendors bundle this card with the 503CMX, others price it separately. The best part about this card, and the card slot, is that the card can be upgraded to one of several made by Aurora so that the DVI input on the card is HDCP compliant. Thus future proofing the 503 to comply with HDCP flags.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
And to follow up on Bill's post, the Aurora cards should be shipping by the time you're ready to buy. Having DVI/HDCP is a good thing, and the Aurora scalers are supposed to be better than the Pioneer.

I have a 433CMX (which is like the consumer PDP-4330). I think you'd find the 503CMX a much better solution than the 5030HD.

I don't think anyone's mentioned a 5031HD model number, so this is probably either a typo, or as judicator suggests, a ploy to avoid price matching.

One caveat: the commercial models (PDP-503CMX & PDP-433CMX) are typically not available from the B&M stores. I think most of us purchased online. If you read through the threads here, you'll eventually figure out who our preferred online vendors are. Pricing discussion is frowned upon, but you can try PMing members to follow up, if you like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I absolutely agree about wanting DVI/HDCP, but after searching the internet, I have a couple of questions:

The PDA-5002 can be had for about $250.

The Aurora TV-10000P (which includes a tuner as well as an HDCP compatible DVI port) is about $1,400.

I already have an STB with DVI output (TS-160) so I don't need a tuner. Is that the only Aurora card with DVI/HDCP? or is there another that has the interface without the tuner?

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the 5002 and wait to see if Pioneer (or somebody else) comes out with a DVI/HDCP card? If it ends up being less than $1,150 I still come out ahead?

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
In case you guys missed it, Joe Fernand has reported that Pioneer has started producing the media box in house now, instead of the previous Sharp made box. So previous comments as to differences in PQ related to that may or may not be accurate anymore. (No one knows if there is anything different in the Pio Box)

5031 has been discussed before and doesn't look to be anything significant, AFAIK. (Other than numbering scheme) Both have a Model number on the PDP itself as PDP-503PU.

Other than that, most other comments (Price, expandability etc.) relative to 503CMX still apply. I'm still confused why there is a different part number for 'Front Protective Panel' (ie., front lens) for the 503CMX vs. Pro1000, even though they are both FCC Class B.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Barry:

Aurora also offers the A303-HDCP which I believe is shipping right now. This card offers DVI-HDCP, but does not have a tuner. So, it would appear to fit your needs pretty well.

I believe you can order the A303-HDCP from plasmaextreme.us for well less than $1,150.

If I were buying either a 433CMX or 503CMX today, I would be inclined to pass on the PDA 5002 card in favor of the Aurora A303-HDCP because it adds HDCP compliance. However, I already have a 5002, so I'm going to wait until HDCP becomes a (what's the right word) reality or problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks. That would be exactly what I was looking for. It's hard to tell if the product is shipping yet or not. I sent an email to the sales department at Aurora (now that I was able to find their web site).

And it does appear to be about $500.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BarryHR
The Aurora TV-10000P (which includes a tuner as well as an HDCP compatible DVI port) is about $1,400.

I already have an STB with DVI output (TS-160) so I don't need a tuner. Is that the only Aurora card with DVI/HDCP? or is there another that has the interface without the tuner?
Just to clarify a bit: the TVP-1000+ is actually dual tuner, but they're NTSC (analog) not ATSC (digital) tuners. The card gives you more inputs than the 5002 or A303 and lets you do PIP, etc. [Aurora is hinting that they'll have a card with an ATSC tuner sometime this fall.]

You should think carefully about how many inputs you need, so you can avoid a switcher (unless your A/V receiver does component switching already.) The 5002 (& A303, I think) give you a total of 3 HD inputs. The TVP-1000+ adds a 2nd component input, which is in the DVI breakout cable.

Also, Key Digital has cards on the way, but I don't know anything about them. Higher end, as I understand it...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Aurora was pretty quick in their response to my email requesting the shipping status of the A303-HDCP. Here's the scoop:

"End of this coming week it starts to ship. Manuals and brochure will posted early this week."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.