AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to look again at plasma having left it alone for a year or two to 'develop' (ie get a little cheaper).

I see that the pioneer 502MX and 505HD are currently available at pretty good discounts from list, actually at amazing discounts from list. Is this because there are now the 503MX and 1000HD?

Are the new models WAY better or just a gradual improvement? Do the 502MX and 505HD represent very good value in plasma at this point?

Are there any significant differences between the 502MX and the 505HD which seem to be priced similarly at this point?

Roland

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There's lots of info on this particular point, do a search in the forum. However, the short answer is yes, there's a significant difference.

There's an excellent article, "The Glass Menagerie" at Peter Putnam's website, www.projectorexpert.com, with a review of five different recent plasmas, including the new Pioneer. The article, plus a little bit, also appears in the current issue of The Perfect Vision. Highly recommended reading - it will get you up the curve fairly fast. Then, I'd recommend reading some of the threads on the Pioneer, the Panasonic and Fujitsus.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi - I did a few searches here and didn't find that much info on

the 520MX vs 505HD question.

When you said yes there is a significant difference, I assume

you mean significant difference between the 505 and 502,

not significant difference between the 502/505 and the

new 503. Which (502 or 505) is better?

I don't have the 10+K for the 503, if I have to spend that

much, it's a standard 3K HDTV for me.

·
Registered
925 Posts
rols:

last gen was 502MX commercial and 505HD consumer.

current gen is 503CMX commercial and PRO1000HD consumer.

by all accounts there are big differences. you can find 503 -vs- 1000 differences here, and there are a few folks who've upgraded from 505 to 1000, but no real critical comparisons other than (wow! this is so much better! kinda stuff).

if 10K+ is too much for your wallet, then you can just ignore the current gen.

good luck!

doody.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.