AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about purchasing the Pioneer SD-643HD5. Are there any owners who have any regrets? I will be using Direct TV as main source (as well as DVD's, Replay TV, and standard NTSC).

Is this same set available as a Panasonic? I've heard that Pioneer makes a RPTV for Panasonic. If so, any advantage of price / warranty of one company vs the other?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuck
I have the 53 inch version and love it. I watch alot of satellite and DVD and love it.
I second what Knuck said.

I don't watch anything but DVD material on mine and ever since I had it ISF calibrated, it looks almost HDTV-like. I have the 53" and am very satisfied!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Knuck and McPatrickClan!

I will be looking at prices from some internet based companies and also for someone to do ISF calibrations here locally.

Do any of you have any experience with what you would consider a reliable internet discount company?

Also, is anyone aware of Pioneer making these same non--Elite rp-tvs for Panasonic??

Thanks!

Charles

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the 643 and LOVE it. I've only had it for 3 weeks or so. People say it gets better as it ages a bit. I thought the DVD looked great right out of the box. After some tweaking it is just getting better and better. I sit 11 ft. away and was a bit worried that it might be too big, nope, it's fine.

You asked about a reputable online dealer, Onecall.com is where I got mine. I bought there because of their reputation and they are an authorized Pioneer dealer. Talk to a salesman, I talked to Jason, you may be able to do a little better than the web price.

Everyone agrees that you should wait at least 100 hrs. or so before thinking about an ISF.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Zig is correct about the warm-up phase. I watched mine for almost ten months before calibration and was able to obtain an optimal picture.

I personally do not know of ANY reputable online dealers. I have always been afforded the luxury of shopping locally since I really don't spend too much other money elsewhere. I don't find the service is that much better though, so maybe online is just the way of the future. Check with Pioneer. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Where are you so we can refer you to an ISF tech?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zignif
You asked about a reputable online dealer, Onecall.com is where I got mine. I bought there because of their reputation and they are an authorized Pioneer dealer. Talk to a salesman, I talked to Jason, you may be able to do a little better than the web price.
I agree with the last poster - don't buy online. Many report good experiences with onecall - I don't. When I wanted to buy the 533 and it was in short supply, they d*cked me around unnecessarily over a credit card, even though I'd spent $1000s there previously. I'll never spend another penny there. I bought instead from a local (not Best Buy) authorized Pioneer dealer, and it cost less than $200 more than onecall's "fabulous group buy" deal. The peace of mind associated with having four guys show up to safely bring it in my house and set it up, along with knowing the local dealer would fix any problem that I might have encountered (although none have surfaced in the six months I've owned the 533) was worth the $180.

·
Registered
912 Posts
GC3 is on the right track.

Look at the percentage of cash you MIGHT save: Maybe 8%? That's just not worth it in the scheme of things. Sometimes we can look at it and say that we can buy 20 DVDs with that cash, etc. but really it comes down to making a wise decision.

I used to run a retail audio business and believe me, I earned every sale I landed. Being on the other side, I don't trust any more than 1 out of 10 online retailers at all. When people do business, they will try to pull a fast one on you a lot. When you do business with a local place, you have a lot more leverage. You can go in to the location and look them in the eye if you have a problem. You can write letters and make phone calls to the corporate office. You can file a complaint with your local BBB. You can do virtually none of this with your online retailers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all the above! I appreciate your perspectives.

I live in Louisville, KY and so far the only local dealers I've located only sell the Elite Pioneers. Locating an ISF tech locally is not a problem.

There is one Home Theater agent however who has told me I can get the

same Pioneer non-Elite from Panasonic. So far, I've been unable to verify that Pioneer makes RPTVs for Panasonic. Does anyone have any info on this??

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
If Pioneer does make the Panasonics then it is a far-lesser breed of product than the one they put their own name on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
From what I've read on the forums, that is not true. They may, however, be using the Pioneer CRT's. That may be the reason for the confusion. Again, I don't know this for a fact, it's just what I've read.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.