AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an inexpensive universal DVD player for that has good video and audio performance. Does anyone have recommendations based on use? I want to spend less than $500. I have heard about the new Denon 2200, Pioneer DV45 and I know of an even more inexpensive Pioneer DVD player I saw at Best Buy? Does anyone have experience with any of these? Would anyone purchase any of the above over a DVI player like the Samsung. I watch way more DVDs and picture quality is the most important feature....However, I would hate to buy a new player and not get DVD-A or SACD capability.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
you may want to look at the DVD player shootout here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5

This will give you a good place to start. I belive a 53 out of 100 was the best that any pioneer player scored.

This is a great article, and if you have time you should definately read it.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I recently got the Denon DVD-2200 and I like it. So my vote is for the DVD-2200 because it is alot better than the dvd players that you metioned.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I can't belive none mentioned the Dv 563(a) from Pioneer.

At $179.00 you can't go wrong.

Forget the DV 45A

Try one at B Buy 30 days risk free and see.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eldithomaso
I can't belive none mentioned the Dv 563(a) from Pioneer.

At $179.00 you can't go wrong.

Forget the DV 45A

Try one at B Buy 30 days risk free and see.
This is a great option for those looking to spend less than 200 dollars. I just don't think that it is the same class as the denon. Also this user asked for DVD players in the 500 dollar range.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It is less than $500.00 as he asked...

The SRP for the 2200 is $649.

Why do you find the 2200 so much better? I realize it has burr-brown 108mhz vs 54/10 processing all but subjectively (and other than for the Silicon chip) has anyone compared them?

I would love to know if it really produces a triple price difference value?

That reminds me, while I wait for my 59-AVi perhaps someone can compare the 563a and the 1600 and the 59-AVi and the 5900.

I guess the 2900 fills a mid price point nicely - then Pioneer's 55-Av will be the comparison

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Again I refer to this page http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...rch&articles=5

This is what I am going on as a reference point. i really doubt that they fixed all of these issues in their 200 dollar player that they sell at BB. I of course could be wrong, but I doubt it.

While the srp for the 2200 may be 649, no one will pay that once it has been out for a month or so. It will sell at 500 or less.

Also that shootout that I referenced is all about Video, which is what I consider to be the top priority of a DVD player.

Whether it is worth 3 times the price is all up to the customer. Most people would not think it is worth the extra money. But other will pick both players up and see the difference in build quality. Then they will fire them both up and see that one just seems to be smoother in operation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.