AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am trying to decide between these two receivers:

Pioneer VSX-81TVX or Sony STR-DA3200ES

Does anyone have either of these? And if so, what would be the better one to get?

I have been searching on here for these two, but I can't find any posts so far. Or they are hidden so deep that I can't find them.

I would be replacing an older Pioneer VSX-D901S that I have had for maybe 14 years. It has been very good, and has had no problems at all. But I am wondering since it has 125 watts per channel, will I hear a decrease in sound quality going down to 120 watts on the Sony 3200ES or 110 watts on the Pioneer 81TVX? Or does that not matter in the newer receivers?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The sony will not even come close to it's reported power rating so forget about sony as well as the issues people have been having with that avr,

As for the pioneer it is a much better model and the power ratings are much closer to what they report with the unit so the pioneer is a better built unit all around.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0

... so forget about sony as well as the issues people have been having with that avr, ...

It's obvious from your posting history that you like Sony audio products
but what reported problems are you referring to with this AVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz /forum/post/0

... As for the pioneer it is a much better model ...

Of course, no problems with any Pioneer (or Denon or Yamaha for that matter) reported on this site.

Maybe you should edit your signature.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I do admit that Sony's track record isn't the best, but these new receivers are TOTALLY different. The new digital circuitry that Sony uses really changes things. If you want to know how this unit sounds look at the reveiws on the 5200ES, these receivers are almost the same except for the video processing and GUI.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html

Take it from someone who owns this unit, it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttskyline2001 /forum/post/0

while it is true what irstevens421 said, but I would vote for the Pioneer Elite. To me the Elite sounds much better than the Sony. But it is a good thing that Sony is turning itself around on their receivers.

agreed!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help in my decision.

I have ordered the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TVX, it should be here this coming week sometime.

I am hoping it will be as good or better than my 14 year old Pioneer VSX-D901S. My VSX-D901S still works great and has never had a problem. But I am mainly worried about the lower watts, since my old one is 125 watts per channel and this new one is 110 watts x 7. The higher wattage Pioneers, 130 and 140, are a little too high in price for me at the moment. I just hope that 110 is going to be enough.

I decided to stay with the Pioneer brand again because of the great quality and sound of the D901S. And hopefully I will be just as pleased with this new one, and possibly being an Elite model will be even better than I am expecting.

The Sony looked very good too, but since I have never had a Sony receiver, and some of the posts I have read have made me a little cautious of Sony receivers, I opted for Pioneer Elite. Though my Sony TV has been fine.

Thanks again,

Rick

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Col /forum/post/0

I am hoping it will be as good or better than my 14 year old Pioneer VSX-D901S. My VSX-D901S still works great and has never had a problem. But I am mainly worried about the lower watts, since my old one is 125 watts per channel and this new one is 110 watts x 7. The higher wattage Pioneers, 130 and 140, are a little too high in price for me at the moment. I just hope that 110 is going to be enough.

Sound quality and wattage are not causally linked. You've probably never actually used 25 continuous watts in your present system ever, so 110 is well beyond what you need. In everyday reality, people don't often use an entire watt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Rick. I've got an 81 (replaced my Pio VSX-35TX). It performs really well. MCACC was a snap. Throw is U-571 or Open Range, any Star Wars dvd, or anything else at it. You won't be dissapointed. The the LFE over LPCM issue, but that should be resolved via a firmware update.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had them both in my house... kept the Sony. Sound quality was about the same, but the constant 1080i out sealed the deal.

Of course, I choose to keep the Klipsch speakers rather then the Ascends, so I may not know what I am talking about.

Edit: Oops, I thought you were talking about the 5200es, not the 3200es. Sorry, I kept the 5200es.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.