AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into purchasing a newer, just above entry level AVR which supports 4K pass-thru and upscaling. Trying to decide between a Pioneer VSX-1124 and a Yamaha RX-V675 both of which are close to the same price on Amazon right now.

Opinions on these receivers are appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yamaha has native English speakers in support if that matters. It depends on the set you want to use. I can tell you from experience and from many hours of research, it doesn't play nice with Vizio. I would Google the Yamaha model along with your set. I used Vizio ARC Yamaha for my search term. Many results were right here at AVS. Your set may be fine, but I suggest checking first.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha has native English speakers in support if that matters. It depends on the set you want to use. I can tell you from experience and from many hours of research, it doesn't play nice with Vizio. I would Google the Yamaha model along with your set. I used Vizio ARC Yamaha for my search term. Many results were right here at AVS. Your set may be fine, but I suggest checking first.

From what i find, it seems that it should play nice with my Samsung 60". :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really leaning towards the Yammy at this point. I have a Pioneer currently but would like to try another brand. I am familiar somewhat with MCACC on the Pioneer but not so much with YPAO on the Yamaha. Any unusual quirks with it that i may need to know in advance? I know that the version of MCACC on the Pio 1124 will EQ the sub but will the YPAO on the Yamaha EQ it as well?

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replies. :) I just bit the bullet on the Yammy 675 from Amazon. Although it is a slightly older model, it has all the features I want and more for now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
From what i find, it seems that it should play nice with my Samsung 60". :)
Glad to hear it and congrats on placing your order. FWIW, for the smart apps, I pressed the Audio button on the Yamaha remote. It stopped working, but an optical cable worked. I then got a Sony S6200 Blu-ray player so I can use Netflix there and eliminated the optical cable.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Be aware that no current AVR is guaranteed to work with 4K... 4K will need new HDMI standards to be in effect and while all those AVRs (including Onkyo, Sony, etc) claim they support 4K, they do not have the FULL standard HDMI protocol, they only support a subset of 4K which means some of the higher bandwidth 4K playback will not work.

When 4K players come out, they will need the updated HDMI standards be in place to work. The reason why no one has it is because the HDMI chips for the new standards have not been designed and made until the specs are finalized.

If I were you, I'd wait until the 4K standards are finalized and implemented and are proven to work.

BTW, this 4K limitation will also apply to the current 4K TV sets. The only sets that MAY work will be the Samsung 4K sets with the one connector box. The box is supposed to contain the upgraded HDMI hardware so that owners will be able to use it with future 4K standards. Sony has already admitted that their current 4K sets will prossibly not work with 4K players down the road...

Oh yeah, between Yamaha and Pioneer, I like Pioneers digital amps. They can handle low impedance speakers where a lot of regular amp designs cannot... But admittedly, some people do not care for the sound from digital amps..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.