AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the avia calibration DVD used on a plasma is pretty useless for contrast and sharpness i would love to hear what other Pioneer owners are using.I calibrated color,brightness and tint in the intergrator mode and found thats all i could really accomplish.I went to the regular menu to visually change contrast down to a -6 and taking advice from the forum dropped my sharpness to a -7.

Sharpness really has me frustrated since going from negative 7 to positive 7 seems to have no effect on the picture.Does anyone know whats up with this since the adjustment must do something for it to be there but i cant see it?

I use only input 2 for DVD and input 4 for sd cable and keep contrast level at -5 for DVD and -6 for sd cable.Just trying to get the best picture thus any feedback would be great.thanks Matt

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess no one wants to let out their pq secrets?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks nospam.Everyone seems to drop sharpness to the bottom which makes the control almost useless and a puzzle to me.It would be great to hear from someone who had their plasma professionally calibrated to find out what their sharpness level is.I wonder if other plasma brands have the sharpness levels almost useless like the Pioneer?

·
Registered
315 Posts
With Avia, I found it hard to set contrast (when what's white?) and shaprness (no effect) for the 503cmx. Setting brightness, color and tint seemed pretty straightforward. I'm getting used to these settings, I'll probably try to re-calibrate again in a couple of weeks.

The audio setup was a nice suprise, I didn't realize how out of whack my speaker setup was. It sounds so, so much better now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just for completeness, you migh want to revisit so oth the older threads on this topic:

From the Brand Specific FAQ: PDP-503CMX
Quote:
Got any hints for setting up my 503CMX?

It is probably best to calibarate your display using tools like the Avia Guide to Home Theater or, better, hire a professional Imaging Science Foundation (ISF) certified calibrator.

For more information see these threads:
Settings on cmx 503/cmp5000
2 week review of Pio 503 CMX
pio 503 cmx settings current owners
Another Happy Dell Customer

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks sixsevens,It is a good idea to visit these long forgotten threads and I will try those old settings again.The sharpness thing still gets to me since something should be happening when it is adjusted but I don't see it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.