AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question here (as you can tell as I've included the Sylvania)

Still in school, so I've just begun to research plasmas and a new 5.1 system, but then my 32" died last night so my timetable has moved up.

Looking at:

Sylvania 6842PE - for price reasons

Panasonic TH42PWD - for picture reasons (and wife prefers dark tv)

Pioneer PDP425CMX - ditto

My needs: No HD programming at all right now - so I'm OK with the sylvania and panasonic being ED - but will the Pioneer handle the SD signal ok or will it have problems being an HD set?

I know that I'll need to run sound through a receiver and speakers, but if I'm not doing any gaming (xbox or otherwise) do I need to add any cards to make the professional series Panasonic or Pioneer work with my dish network or DVD?

Also, I figure that despite the fact that the sylvania won't be as good as the other two, it will probably be a lot better than anything i've ever owned (my best picture is a 27" flat screen tube tv), so is it ok, or still a waste of money?

Sorry for the entry level questions, but as I said, hadn't planned on doing this for a while yet...thanks for any and all responses!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I cannot comment on the Sylvania, as I don't have experience with them, but I cna say it is definately a step down in quality compared to the other two sets. The panasonic is probably your best bet as coming in with a TV that is ready to go from the start, as it comes with a speaker and tuner. The Pioneer is a commercial model, so it lacks a tuner and speakers. You would also probably want to buy a additional keycard for the pioneer to give you some HDMI outputs as well as more video processing power. My advice to you would be to call Cleveland plasma, who is a forum sponsor at the bottom of this page. He deals a lot with the Pioneer CMX line, and also carries panasonics. He is also very honest, and a great person to work with.

Dustin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.