AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this unit in my local Costco, but don't see it on the Costco website (or anywhere else for that matter). Does anyone have any details on this set? I purchased a PDP-4312 recently, and I was wondering how this newer set compares...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Pricing is not allowed - MSRP ONLY!!!!!!

Dave

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Between the two Costcos here in Anchorage, there are still 8 4312's available. Come and get 'em! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
PDP-4214HD - anybody has this set; google doesn't seem to have much info on this model.

I was at our local Costco yesterday and the Pioneer 43" are all gone. The 4214 are the only ones they are selling; same price as the 4312. The PQ looks terrific (but, I think, not $1000 better than the Maxent, next to it). Another difference is the 4214 has non-detachable speakers.

Any hands-on experience? Specs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw this in my local Costco too after all the PDP-4312 were pulled last week. I looked closer to the back of the unit and it said assembled in USA with imported parts from Japan, Korea and other country. I know that Pioneer makes 43/50 inch panel and this could be OEM PDP from Samsung?

By the way, there was a PDP-5040 next to the PDP-4214, it seems that the 4214 has better black level as well. Other than 1 inch smaller then the PDP-4304 (or 4312 as a set), it has the HD decoder built-in but no DCR cable card, fixed speaker on the sides. 1 HDMI, 2 component/s-video/composite (might be shared similar to the media receiver version) and one extra s-video/composite at the side.

Jeff

·
Registered
550 Posts
Just saw this one a Costco today. The price is the same as the 4312. I don't think that this is an attractive price right now given the price drops on Panasonic.

Glossy black bezel was attractive though. Looks a little like 4350 with speakers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have purchased the 4214HD from costco about a month ago. I really like the design but seems that the menu is very slow. I really wanted the 4212HD but they didnt have any more in stock. Does the media box on the 4212 respond to the remote pretty fast?

as far as picture quality i think its about the same as 4212HD just that the menu is very slow on response..

·
Registered
6 Posts
mr.jlim0930 i hope you can help me since you have this tv how do you save your color settings on any picture mode other than user ive read the manual and it does not say how to store your settins in any picture mode.So i turn the set off and thats it all settings gone hope you can help.thanks :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlim0930
I have purchased the 4214HD from costco about a month ago. I really like the design but seems that the menu is very slow. I really wanted the 4212HD but they didnt have any more in stock. Does the media box on the 4212 respond to the remote pretty fast?

as far as picture quality i think its about the same as 4212HD just that the menu is very slow on response..
There is no media box on the 4212. What is the model number on the back of the screen itself?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik
There is no media box on the 4212. What is the model number on the back of the screen itself?
Looking at the 4214 again, It looks like it is a rebadged version of the 42A3HD.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez
Looking at the 4214 again, It looks like it is a rebadged version of the 42A3HD.
Hmmm. Is that a 3rd generation? The 4212 has 4204 on the back of the panel ... 4th generation. The 4350 is 5th and the the about to be released 4360 is 6th.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik
Seems hard to tell. How do you know?
I don't know. I've never seen a Pio 42" HD model before this, so I imagine that either it is new, or someone else manufactured it and Pio rebadged it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez
I don't know. I've never seen a Pio 42" HD model before this, so I imagine that either it is new, or someone else manufactured it and Pio rebadged it.
Pio tends to use the generation number in the model number, that's why I initially suspected 3rd gen. There is an equivalent 43A5HD just becoming available that is parallel to the 4350 except without media box.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What advantage, if any is the media box? I somes ways it seems undesirable to me to deal with finding a spot for the extra box.

Does it offer more connections, better quality video path or other technical benifit?

I suppose if you are wall mounting it allows a single cable to the monitor thru the wall so changing sources around would be easier with all connections on the rack.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avax
What advantage, if any is the media box? I somes ways it seems undesirable to me to deal with finding a spot for the extra box.

Does it offer more connections, better quality video path or other technical benifit?

I suppose if you are wall mounting it allows a single cable to the monitor thru the wall so changing sources around would be easier with all connections on the rack.
More connections and easier connectivity since the box typically lives amoung the other components, therefore fewer cables to panel.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.