AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my Sony KDL46XBR2 and have decided to go plasma this time around. Both of these sets fall in the same price range and from what I've read the krp has a better PQ than the 5020. I have a 5.1 surround sound and will be wall mounting the unit so the krp sounds like it would suit my setup. However, I do have some concerns about the 500M since I have not seen one in store.

Is the 500 screen much more reflective than the 5020?

Is the difference in PQ really noticeable?

How loud does the 500 run?

I am ready to purchase the 5020 from a local store with a 4 year extended warranty but after having read more on the 500, is the 500 that much more superior than the 5020? At least with the locally purchased 5020 I have the peace of mind a 4 yr replacement warranty can provide. Is it worth ordering the 500M online having never seen it and what kind of replacement warranty is out there for online products that's a discontinued model?

All suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, after doing a ton of reading on the 500m and you stating your current set up, it sounds like you should choose the 500m. Here are my non-expert reasons,

1. you have surround sound ( but you can buy speakers if you wanted not to run the surround all the time).

2. all the hundreds of posts that I have read have talked highly about the 500m and it is suppose to have "some" of the 10g parts, along with the pro-101(very similar).

3. reflectivity should not be any different on these panels, but the picture can be calibrated better on the 500m if you get the ISFccc unlocked via controlcal.

4. no tuner so you will have to have a cable box or direct tv to watch regular tv on the 500m.

I am looking at an upgrade from my 8g 5080 to either the 500m or the 101.

I hope this helps your decision easier.

CK

·
Registered
845 Posts
Found them both for same price, so am torn as well. Was the 5020 a better set when it came out and is now just an older model?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I own both. The 500M has a better antireflective costing and better black levels, plus the Pro Adjust menu, which is locked out of the 5020. The only downside that I know of for the 500M is that it has a lower-powered audio amplifier than the 5020, which, when its included speakers are augmented with a subwoofer, actually sounds decent -- certainly better than expected for built-in sound.

That being said, I would definitely go for the 500M to exploit its better picture quality and if, necessary, use external audio equipment. If the 500M had been available when I bought the 5020, I would have bought the 500M for its PQ and dealt with any audio issues separately.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer65 /forum/post/17043909

3. but the picture can be calibrated better on the 500m if you get the ISFccc unlocked via controlcal.

CK

This statement is slightly incorrect.

Picture can be calibrated better on the 500m with or without the ISFccc patch.

Out of the box you get control over

1) Pure mode!

2) RGB high/low (grayscale)

3) CSM (primaries and secondaries)

4) Gamma (5 options)

etc...

The ISFccc is useful when you need a nighttime and daytime settings and/or more than one device need customized calibration settings (Blu-Ray player, XBOX, set box, ...)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Thanks. 500m it is. I will never use the set's speakers as it will be part of a complete system in my MBR. No room for speakers anyway - only have 50" width. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
This 500 doesn't have a tuner correct? I use dish network but my room is on TV 2. Basically this means that the TV has to be set on channel 60. How would this work? Could I buy a conveter box "tuner" and everything be cool?

·
Registered
182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsocks /forum/post/17051723

This 500 doesn't have a tuner correct? I use dish network but my room is on TV 2. Basically this means that the TV has to be set on channel 60. How would this work? Could I buy a conveter box "tuner" and everything be cool?

if your TV is not directly hooked up to your receiver/dvr via component or hdmi, you will NOT be getting a high-definition feed

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsocks /forum/post/17051723

You can run a long HDMI cable or component cable to TV1 from your Dish box. The only downside is that you will have to watch the same as TV1 on the original TV. You will however be watching hd.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am getting ready to pull the trigger and go with the 500m. How does this work with speakers for a plasma monitor? I am looking to go on the cheap for some temp speakers as I will have home theater after Christmas. Anyone have suggestions?

I found Sony Speakers on craigslist. One Center Channel and two side speakers. What else would I need to connect these to the monitor? Would I need a receiver?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, I went into the local High End place to compare a Panni G15 to the Kuro 500m. I walked in and the saw the 500m boxed on the floor with a special pricing including the pedestal. They did not have the Panni G15 on display. The sales person who helped me said that they were not going to open any up since they only had 10. He told me hands down it was the best Monitor/TV for the money and he bought one. I said its hard to buy a TV without viewing it first and his price was too high compared to just about any Online Retailer.

He said he would come as close as he could to any OL retailer and told me if I was not happy or if I saw a set I liked better in the next 30 days I could bring it back for a 100% refund. He also gave me a decent price on a 5 year warren-tee that his store sells, It includes a loner TV if mine is down for repairs and replacement if it can not fixed or if parts are not readily available all with them picking up from my house. It's backed by the company's parent corporation worth give or take a billion dollars. It even has a great feature I have never seen, they'll refund 100% of the price of the warren-tee if not used. I think I did well, I paid a just a little more than the BEST OL price but I supported the local guy who has excellent service. I will get it fired up later and I'll am sure I will be happy. I mean to buy a TV without actually looking at it first I can hear my father saying what a moron I am already...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well thanks everyone. I ended ordering the 500M, it just made the most sense and it was actually a few hundred cheaper! Can't wait to get it delivered. I've never seen one before and expect it to be as good as everyone claims.

The wife wanted me to pick up the 5020 at the local best buy but I convinced her to wait for the 500m. She is claiming the break in period I've been reading about is crap. Is the factory break in enough or does everyone here do some sort of in home break in?

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandy23 /forum/post/17064027

Well thanks everyone. I ended ordering the 500M

Congratulations (and welcome to AVS), you've purchased an excellent display.

Questions about the KRP are probably best posted in the KRP after you've browsed the FAQ.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocuMaker /forum/post/17064797

The break-in is overrated in my opinion. I'm breaking in mine by watching it. I'm not going to waste time and electricity running color slides all day long.

You just spent a few thousand on a display - you are now worried about a few dollars in electricity?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Purchasing a 500M will make you a yes brainer of excellence.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts