AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this report on Pioneers web site from March. This is the first official public recognition of 1080p coming next year. I am surprised the media didn't get a hold of this. (The World Cup starts in June 2006)

"Development of Full-spec HD PDP

Product outline

Screen size : over 50 inches

No. of pixels: 1920(hor.) x 1080(ver.)

Finally, let me touch on full-specification high-definition PDP. Pioneer is now developing a full-specification high-definition plasma TV. I cannot elaborate on when it will be launched and how much it will be, but we hope we will be able to display a pilot model at CEATEC in October this year and at the Winter CES

after the turn of the year, so that people can enjoy 2006 World Cup soccer games on full HD plasma TVs." (Page 17)

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/corp/ir/pdf...ito_note_e.pdf

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Although it was one of things everyone 'knew' was going to happen it's still a nice find.

Everybody who follows plasma technology pretty much guessed that 2006 is going to be the year of large panel 1080 plasma introduction. It looks as if the path forward is being cleared.

Good job.

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
In the 6G Pioneer thread there's a link to this article:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...21/pioneer.htm

Quote:
Concerning the future new product it announces with CEATEC and CEA "HD of the full specifications (the 1,920×1,080 dot) concerning the panel, does the exhibition. The product in 50 inch class, 2006 June world cup assumed that you can observe with full specifications HD."
That sounds to me as if we'd get a 50" 1080p Pioneer plasma in time for the soccer world cup.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The quote from the Pioneer site says "over 50" so they may only start with the 61". We will have more details in October.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part of the problem is the japanese translation. Maybe someone who is fluent in Japanese can provide us a better translation of your link than the one provided by google.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Could anyone take an educated guess at what the street price of a 50" 1080P will be (using a street price of $4000 for a 50" 768P plasma as a reference)?

Thanks,

John Flegert

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, Pioneers in general are a bit more expensive than say Panasonics or Samsungs to begin with.

Let's say that the Pioneer 5060 (1280x768) MSRP is $6000. I'm guessing that a 1920x1080 50" Pio plasma will have an MSRP of $9000 in 2006.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
At that price I'll leave it on the shelf. I am glad that plasmas will be going 1080p soon though. I wonder what the ferarri-priced SED will sell for now (upon release)?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like Plasma will beat SED to market with 1080P. Now we'll just have to wait and see how good the 6th generation pioneer plasma is.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm going to have to wander over to the HD DVD forum and see what's the scoop on 1080p players for release in 2006...

How well developed are scalers / deinterlacers with the capability of producing silky smooth 1080p material? Are we confident the Pio scalers / deinterlacers in these new displays will be near the top of the industry in terms of quality right out of the gate?

Am I going to see an eye-popping improvement over the current 768 line displays fed with 720p and 1080i material? I mean, it's already awfully darned good; can 1080p be that much better?

If so, I would hold off on trading in my 1110HD for one of those new 1130 Black Crystal 4-gazillion:1 contrast ratio jobbies if the 1080p's are less than a year away...

Ross

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It was pretty clear when they "left out" the 61-inch from the 6th generation announcement it was to make it the first 1080p unit.

I'd say this more than confirms that. I wonder if it's ready to show at CEDIA or if we'll have to wait till CES to see one.

Combined with what should be new-found blacks, Pioneer is poised to take the plasma crown. Unless, of course, someone can strike back....

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo
It was pretty clear when they "left out" the 61-inch from the 6th generation announcement it was to make it the first 1080p unit.

I'd say this more than confirms that. I wonder if it's ready to show at CEDIA or if we'll have to wait till CES to see one.

Combined with what should be new-found blacks, Pioneer is poised to take the plasma crown. Unless, of course, someone can strike back....

1. Rogo - can you pls elaborate on the "Pioneer's new-found blacks"?

2. Hoodlum - how do you find these things? You've produced more scoops here than an ice-cream parlor, man. You should become an investigative reporter :)

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts

wojtek said:
1. Rogo - can you pls elaborate on the "Pioneer's new-found blacks"?

Here is the Press Release for you. Pioneer is really "hyping" the "Black Level" improvement for this next generation----something they have nver done before.

So we kind of believe that they have done something.

Japan Press Release!

Dave

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wojtek
2. Hoodlum - how do you find these things? You've produced more scoops here than an ice-cream parlor, man. You should become an investigative reporter :)
Most of my "scoops" have been found through either Yahoo news or Google searches. For this scoop I was just google searching for more info on the 6th generation Pioneers and came across the Japanese article that also happened to mentioned that the 1080 plasmas from Pioneer were coming. Then I did some further searching on pioneer 1080 plasmas and found the PDF from Pioneer's web site. I had searched for 1080p plasma in the past but never found anything. This time I had the proper keyword to use from the Japanese article that helped me to find it.

But sometimes I just get lucky. ;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is a little clearer statement from Pioneer's annual report that stats 1080p Plasmas for sizes 50" and higher for the World Cup finals (ie. July 2006).

"Toward Even Higher Quality

Pioneer is developing more advanced, new plasma displays with 1,920 x 1,080 pixels for reproducing full-specification HD video images. During fiscal 2006, we plan to exhibit prototypes with screens of 50 inches or over at some global exhibitions. The product is targeted to launch in 2006, in time for consumers to view the 2006 FIFA World Cup GermanyTM championship finals through the super-high-quality pictures that this model will provide. Such big events are expected to boost demand for largescreen TVs."

http://www.pioneer.co.jp/corp/ir/fin...neer_2005e.pdf

(See Page 13)

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Interesting - thanks!

Hmmmmmm... First they say "50 inches or higher". Then they speak of "the product" instead of "the products". Does that mean we'll only get one 1080p Pioneer plasma in time for the soccer world cup? Will it be 50" or 61" then? I had hoped for both 50" and 61"...

:confused:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
A little off topic, but I found it interesting that Pioneer is going to transition their production lines into three catagories instead of all the contrived mixed breeds. Right now they have six lines doing:

1) 50"

2) 50" / 43"

3) 50" / 43"

4) 43"

5) 61" / 42"

6) 50" / 42"

By 2007 they want this steamlined to specific lines dedicated to:

61"

50"

42"

They did not specify how many 61" or 50" lines they were going to operate. Perhaps this will increase efficiency to a level where MSRP $$$ is reduced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.