Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a thread started on the video processor forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=156631

Please read that thread and respond with your thoughts in this one.

Would the card itself take the 1080i DVI HDCP signal and unencrypt it and actually deinterlace and scale it to the panels native rate or just unencrypt it so the panel can take the DVI and then display that at the native rate?

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm caught up in all this DVI, HDCP, Firewire stuff and trying to decide which Plasma to buy right now. As it looks right now, the Pioneer is the only choice because of the upgrade issue. I would be very interested in any card to keep the set current with the best possible options, at the correct price of course. It would not be fair to be held hostage for an upgrade like this.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mburnstein
This is from a thread started on the video processor forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=156631

Please read that thread and respond with your thoughts in this one.

Would the card itself take the 1080i DVI HDCP signal and unencrypt it and actually deinterlace and scale it to the panels native rate or just unencrypt it so the panel can take the DVI and then display that at the native rate?

Thanks.
Dear Mark,

Sounds like a really cool product!

Thank you

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Mark,

This topic has been discussed so many times. We have even created in theory a custom card for the Pioneer in this forum when aurora asked for our input.

They have done nothing of course and they try to push their useless $900 tv tuner card.

However, Pioneer has it in writing that they will support whatever upcoming standard through a card replacement in the PRO only. It may work for the 503cmx as well.

Any other company lurking here should get a good idea of what we want in that card. Briefly: 2 DVI/HDMI inputs, 504 or F. based native scaler, and one s-video input along with audio inputs.

The specifications were finalized many months ago with the input of many Pioneer owners. CEDIA may bring new products. But Pioneer will whenever there is a need for such a card.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
Mark,

This topic has been discussed so many times. We have even created in theory a custom card for the Pioneer in this forum when aurora asked for our input.

They have done nothing of course and they try to push their useless $900 tv tuner card.

However, Pioneer has it in writing that they will support whatever upcoming standard through a card replacement in the PRO only. It may work for the 503cmx as well.

Any other company lurking here should get a good idea of what we want in that card. Briefly: 2 DVI/HDMI inputs, 504 or F. based native scaler, and one s-video input along with audio inputs.

The specifications were finalized many months ago with the input of many Pioneer owners. CEDIA may bring new products. But Pioneer will whenever there is a need for such a card.
Hi MAB

What is the reasonable Retail price for a card of this nature?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I think around $1,000 or less is the limit most people will pay for this card.

Are you guys doing market research?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
I think around $1,000 or less is the limit most people will pay for this card.

Are you guys doing market research?
MAB,

We are always on the look out for a potential good product, as every other manufacturer. Out of curiousity how did you arrive to $1000?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Quote:
They have done nothing of course and they try to push their useless $900 tv tuner card
I talked to a techie at Aurora the other day, trying to find out if their card would allow the use of component inputs for the "native" VGA and RGB/BNC connections like the 5002 (it does, and he told me about several cards in the works. I think the next one out will be udate to the existing TVP-1000 that will do the OTA HD tuning in addition to the normal NTSC channels.

-- Gary

·
Registered
390 Posts
I also heard from several sources (one actually from Pioneer) that Aurora is working on an HD tuner card. Now that I think about it, does anyone

know whether this new card will also do what the existing TVP-1000 does

plus HD ? Or will it only do HD ?

Another question, when the previous poster says "OTA HD", does that mean "over the air" ? Some TV networks (such as ABC, CBS, NBC) do transmit some times during the day in HD. Would the cable feeds of those networks also be in HD ?

My main question is if I am about to buy a TVP-1000, should I wait for the

new card and will it do everything plus more compared to the old card ?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
393 Posts
The only way to recieve ABC, CBS, NBC in HD(1080i, 720p) is OTA(Over The Air). DirecTV does offer 3 channels(currently) in HD, HBO-HD, SHO-HD, and HDNET but not ABC, CBS, NBC.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The new HD card will do everything the current TVP-1000 does plus HD. OTA does mean over-the-air. I'm not sure what the cable guys will do. I heard from one guy on the Snapstream forum, who was recording HD channels on his PC (including HBO...) using a HiPix HD card, that his cable (in NY...) was just passing through the OTA signals so that a HD tuner works fine.

Here in Orange County (CA) our main cable company is Cox, who is rolling out the local channels in HD (about 10, I think...) in September, will only make HD available as part of their digital cable service which requires a STB, just like DirecTV and Dish. In that case, an HD tuner card is useless.

Regarding whether or not you wait, I guess it would depend on whether you are close enough to receive OTA signals or if your local cable company just passes the HD OTA signals straight through via their normal "analog" cable.

-- Gary

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hi Michael,

The $1,000 price or less was a common consensus among the Pioneer owners. Since this is an internal card, there is no need for a case, an external power supply and multiple input/output bnc connectors, switching capability, pass-through lines, LEDs, lights, power cords etc...

Furthermore, if one wants to spend a little more in the $1,500 range, then you have good full time external scalers such as the CS-1/2. Some people may prefer that route.

Michael, if you built it, they will come. I follow the Leeza discussions and I am amazed by your company. I think a Leeza like, internal Pioneer card based on your algorithms without any fancy multiple resolutions and switching for around $1K will sell very well.

to others,

Aurora HD card is not new. That was announced by their representative when they introduced the tvp-1000. It is essentially the same card with over-the-air HD tuner. Most people will not consider such a card unless it includes One DVI/HDMI input since a good number of us are using HTPC with DVI output and we will not let go that DVI link.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know what DVI is. I have a new PC LCD monitor with a DVI connection.

But what is HDMI and HTPC ?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
HTPC stands for Home Theater Personal Computer. I'm not sure but I'm guessing HDMI is for High-Definition Media Interface.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MAB
Hi Michael,

The $1,000 price or less was a common consensus among the Pioneer owners. Since this is an internal card, there is no need for a case, an external power supply and multiple input/output bnc connectors, switching capability, pass-through lines, LEDs, lights, power cords etc...

Furthermore, if one wants to spend a little more in the $1,500 range, then you have good full time external scalers such as the CS-1/2. Some people may prefer that route.

Michael, if you built it, they will come. I follow the Leeza discussions and I am amazed by your company. I think a Leeza like, internal Pioneer card based on your algorithms without any fancy multiple resolutions and switching for around $1K will sell very well.

to others,

Aurora HD card is not new. That was announced by their representative when they introduced the tvp-1000. It is essentially the same card with over-the-air HD tuner. Most people will not consider such a card unless it includes One DVI/HDMI input since a good number of us are using HTPC with DVI output and we will not let go that DVI link.
Hi MAB,

I Thank you for the kind words! It makes a lot of sense on the pricing. What if we take the same specs that we have on HD Leeza (hd scaling, dvi in/out, comp, rs 232, ir, svideo, component inputs, etc.. and dvi, rgbhv out put, IN addition we would provide L,R PCM digital audio) and give you 1 NATIVE RATE 768P at 60 and 72hz. Do you think we can get $1999 Retail or appx $1500 street price? This board would only work with Pioneer Plasma, so that we still have a market for HD Leeza box with other manufacturers. Please let me know.

Thank you

Thank you

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Skip one of the lower res inputs in favor of an SDI input, and if this thing has ClearMatrix 2 on it, it's a winner.

People will expect to pay less for a card than a box, so it should be priced below the new HD LEEZA.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 289 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.