AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have read many of the threads on this forum & would be interested in help with the following questions about Pioneer plasmas & FE Centrestage scalers:

i) on a PDP 5030HD (consumer model with media box) are there any output resolutions from a CS1/CS2 that will fill the panel without exhibiting motion judder? What output resolution & frequency work (if any)??

ii) on the PDP 503CMX ('professional' model with PDA-5002 card) - same questions. What input on the plasma panel/card works best to connect to the CS1/CS2?

HDCP is not really an issue as I'm in the UK... but any other advice or comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
SimonB:

I'm not sure you can use a scaler with the 5030HD because of its media box, but someone else might know.

You should connect the CS1/2 to input 5 (DVI) on the 503CMX and select a refresh rate of 70hz or as close as you can get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim - thanks for the reply. Kinda confirms what I thought that the 5030HD media box would have problems coping with the output from CS1/2. One thing does still puzzle me though about the DVI input on 503CMX+PDA-5002 combination...

The PDA-5002 specifications link on the Brand Specific FAQ for the 503CMX on the forum lists the compatible input frequencies for various resolutions. For the 1280x768 native resolution it only shows 56Hz & 60Hz.... yet I know from reading various other posts (ericbee amongst others) that Pioneer plasmas have an issue with any non-70Hz input frequencies - they lead to tearing & judder. I'm guessing that's the reason for your suggestion of a 70Hz refresh rate.

How does the circle get squared here? At non-70Hz inputs the picture tears... but the card spec shows that at native resolution 70Hz is not supported? Am I missing something obvious here?

Any advice or gentle push towards a previous thread that might have walked through this already appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
SimonB:

I know from other posters that the Digital Leeza works well with DVI when it's set to 72hz. The problem with tearing is caused by the panel up converting PC signals to 70hz. This seems to be OK if there's actually a PC attached, but it doesn't seem to have been designed to take motion into account. Of course, that's where scalers and HTPC's come in. I have a Faroudja NRS, which only operates at 60hz, and it suffers from the tearing problem.

Hope that helps a bit, but there’s not much else I can add.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.