AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are similar threads here but that aside, can anyone offer a suggestion for an inexpensive scaler for my recently-purchased used Pioneer PDP502 50" Plasma?

It is an older model, 720P native, No DVI.

I want to feed it a decent signal from Digital Cable and DVD sources but want to keep the expense to no more than say $500 used or new.

Thanks all,

Russ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I to have the very same requirement.

I am using a Meridian 596 (non progressive but with component via an RGB SCART, S video and composite outputs) The screen is the Pioneer 502 MXE.

I also use a Sky Plus DSS and Xbox games console.

I to am looking to scale the output to the natural pixel limit of the Pioneer 1024 * 768 from these sources especially the DSS and Games console.

I do not have much experience in scalers, I have spoken to people about the Halo3D card and have read many small notes on dscaler but what I need is to speak to someone with experience on doing the above.

Any takers or advice givers....

Regards...

Tony

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Are you sure you need a scaler? Is the built in scaling of incoming 480p and 480i that bad?

Shortcomings seem to fall into three categories:

1. Not having the zoom or aspect ratio options you want,

2. Poor de-interlacing,

3. Poor scaling.

If the problem is just #2, an iScan v1 or v2 should be all you need. If the problem is #1 and #2 only, you will have to spend a little more money. Being able to zoom non-anamorphic DVD's is a rare feature on both DVD players and de-interlacers.

I have a Lumagen Vision. It cures all three problems for 480i sources but you have to spend $1000.

How well scaling is done is to some extent subjective.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.