AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone out there give me a clear cut answer on what this setting does? I have asked before about how to set up my current speakers for 7.1 theater. I have paradigm monitor 11's for fronts with cc370 center and 6.5" in ceiling and inwalls for t=my surrounds. My sub is the paradigm pw2200. People tell me to set all speakers to small with sub @ 80-100hz. However recently I was told by a sales guy at a local high end audio/ video store that those monitor 11's should be set as large with the sub setting to PLUS. My receiver is a Pioneer elite txi55 and gives you three options for sub setting. (1) No, (2) Yes, and (3) Plus. If you select plus what would you now set for the crossover? Still leave it at 80hz? The manual for Pioneer gives nothing for this setting. Please help if you know or have opinion. I'm currently happy with the small setting, but now its got me thinking. Which can be dangerous!

·
Registered
177 Posts
The Plus setting sends the bass to regular speaker Plus the sub-woofer.

The crossover setting when used with Plus isn't so much of a crossing point because the main speaker will still be receiving the bass. It just selects from what frequency down should also be sent to the sub.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Injector
The Plus setting sends the bass to regular speaker Plus the sub-woofer.

The crossover setting when used with Plus isn't so much of a crossing point because the main speaker will still be receiving the bass. It just selects from what frequency down should also be sent to the sub.
So if the large setting lets the speakers set to large receive bass, then whats the point of the crossover? What is the main difference between the small and large setting? Does the small setting have an additional cut-off/ crossover point for the fronts and the crossover setting just control what signal gets sent to the sub????

·
Registered
177 Posts
Small: Everything below the crossover point is removed and sent to the sub-woofer.

Large: The speaker gets the full frequency range. If all speakers are Large the sub will only have the ".1" information.

Plus: The speaker still gets the full frequency range, while everything below the crossover point is duplicated on the sub.

If the sub is set to No, then the .1 and the bass from any speakers set to small is sent to any speakers set to Large. But as long as the sub is present it will get the bass from the Small speakers instead of it being sent to the ones labled Large.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should paradigm monitor 11's be set to large or small during speaker setup? If set to large should sub be set to yes or plus?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley36
Should paradigm monitor 11's be set to large or small during speaker setup? If set to large should sub be set to yes or plus?
I'm not personally familiar with the Monitor 11s. The specs on Paradigm's website says they'll go as low as 48 Hz with only a 2 dB loss. They should do fine on Large.

Personally I'm not a big fan of extra bass, I like as flat response as possible across the board. So I never even considered using the Plus setting. There is also the possibility of the sub being out of phase with the front speakers and the sound waves canceling each other (this is less of a chance with the new phase correcting MCACC).

In the past I had usually left my front speakers as Large, thinking they could handle what ever bass was sent to them. It wasn't until I was going through the test tones on the Avia DVD that I heard the difference of setting all the speakers to Small and letting the sub pick up the slack down low.

I don't agree with THX on everything, but I think that 80 Hz is a good crossover point for most speakers. If you have a test disc that indicates the frequency of the test tone on screen while it sweeps. You can play the tone on your smallest speaker while it is set to Large, listen for the volume to decrease and make note of the frequency. Set the crossover to just above that point and change the speaker to Small. The tone should now seamlessly continue down below the natural range of the speaker as the sub takes over.

I wish Pioneer had allowed separate crossover points for each speaker. If it turns out that your surround speakers need a crossover point that too high that you feel you'll be sending too much musical information to the sub then it may be a good idea to set your fronts to Large, or even Plus if you happen to like bass.

I've been skirting around telling you what to do, because I don't belive there is one "right" way to set things. I like to explain what settings do, so they can be adjusted knowledgably. In the end it is what sounds right to you. I found myself agreeing with what THX found: 80 Hz/Small all around seemed the most seamless to my ears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.