AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is so confusing! I'm moving from a 35" CRT that supported direct speaker connection. I've had it for ten years and of course it's not surround sound but with Jensen speakers connected it has sounded great for me for a long time. I've also enjoyed being able to just turn on my TV and not any additional components when I want to watch TV.

I finally gave in though and a 61" Panasonic LCD Rear Projection TV set is on it's way to me. I've finally decided on a stand and now I'm looking into improving the sound without going nuts in the money department.

I just got an ad for a "private sale" from Sound Advice (they are the retail outlet of Tweeter in Florida). They are selling the a Pioneer/Polk Home Theater System this weekend for $599. They claim it is normally $899 but looking around the web I could get it for less - but still the $599 price and a local dealer seem good.

It consists of the Pioneer VSX-D912 A/V Receiver and the Polk Audio RM6750 speaker System. Here's a link:

link

Can anyone tell me if this is a good system to buy? I already have a pretty high end DVD Player/Recorder and I'll be attaching at least one Series 1 Tivo, a Bright house HD-DVR, and a VCR for a little while (still in the process of converting VHS tapes to DVD).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I think it's a good retail (sale) price for a couple of earlier series. I haven't heard these polks, but would assume they sound very good. The receiver is a good piece. I'd listen before I bought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I"ve found it is so hard to listen to these systems in stores. They usually have the speakers grouped together unlike what it would be in my house and then there's noise from everywhere else in the store. So far no matter what I've listened to anywhere nothing seems to sound as good as the two speakers connected directly to my current TV.

I suppose if I run expensive speaker wire to the locations and buy a system and it doesn't sound good I can always return it and buy something else and just plug everything into the same place.

I was planning on using a local service that has had good recommendations called "Mr Hook-It Up". They can sell me product as well but I would expect it would cost more directly from them and so I'm doing research so I can at least know a little bit about it.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
What's your budget? If it's $600 you're pretty much limited to sub/sat systems like this combo or the online offerings like Rocket Tykes, Athena Micras or Pt.5s or Hsu Ventriloquist package (comes with a very nice sub). The later come without a receiver.

I've seen specials at Frys offering Monitor 40s, CS1 center, Monitor 30s, a PSW10 sub and entry level receiver for ~ $700. Also, if you like Polks you can still find floorstanders R50s $140/pr, R15s $50/pr, a CS1 ~$100, a Dayton 12" sub $160 shipped w/ a $250 receiver for ~ $700. It will only work at Frys and only when they are on sale (about twice a month) or Outpost (but then there's shipping).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.