AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked me to put together a list of questions for "someone" to answer regarding the new line of Pioneer Plasmas. No question is too technical, the person answering will be the almighty answer man, with the CORRECT answers.

First, some info. The PRO ships from the factory with the orbiter OFF and with 1035 ON. We need the unit to be switched to 1080 from 1035 for HD and the only way that can be done is through the internal service menu, hopefully an answer on how to access it is coming soon. Questions from me are:

How do we access the internal service menu?

What is this CLAMP setting in the menu screen?

Why do some inputs allow for vertical and horizontal shifting and others do not allow it at all?

There are other questions like how to control the internal fans, but that is part of the internal menu question. Please post any questions here.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i have noted that when fed HD, from HBO/ Sat, the display button shows 1125i, 33.4khz h, 59.8 hz v; i expected to see 1080i;

when fed ntsc, via native rate, which is a 1280x720; the display button shows 750p, 44.9kz h, 59.8hz v.; i expected to see 720 or 768

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JLM: looks like it's me and you again kid! I got one more for you: when fed DVD the monitor says 520p. This one was answered for me already. Apparently, all progressive DVD players output 520p and not 480p, as I always thought was the case. So, in fact, the monitor is correct. The HDTV one has to be re-configured internally.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So what's underneath the frame?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I had heard it was either the Holy Grail or the Arc of the Covenant. I, too, am interested in hearing what's actually there.

Mark

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
here is another one: my unit displayed a "shut down" message, requiring a power off and on to reset. I was playing around with the "high contrast" setting, watching HD; chnged the setting to "ON" and got the message. at which point the menu would not function to change back. re-powering allowed the menu to function, although the message also came back on, so i changed the setting back to off, problem went away.

re: the frame: if it does come off so easily, i am going to strip the paint and have the aluminum hard-anodized, this will have the same dark grey color as the old Krell faceplaes and is super tough.

i thought 520 was the Pal standard for dvd; maybe Pal is what our units are set for instead of ntsc.

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leedle: what is underneath the frame? Do you see a smooth aluminum sub-frame? Are there any noticeable holes or marks from the removal of the urishi frame? Any way to post photos? I am getting the 5002 DVI video card today for the Pro 1000. I will photograph the card, the slot and anything of interest to the installation.

JLM: That shut off feature is new to me, I will forward it to the people who can help. Still trying to accumulate a larger question base for them

·
Registered
925 Posts
ericbee - make sure to ask your folks when we can expect a technical manual.

this should include, among other things, the RS232 control codes that i am in need of.

doody.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
eric:

see if you can get some advice about the tiny 75ohm-22 switch (presumably to match the one of the sync impedances, but who knows what the NR uses for sync impedance.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am a bit confused (this is typical for me). Do we know the definitive differnces between the 503cmx and the pro? Are there any meaningful differences?

Since we are asking technical questions, may as well ask about any upcoming expansion cards for the slot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
eric & john -

I removed the Urushi frame and then re-installed it. It looks very similar to the 505 underneath. I don't know if this is the 503 chassis or not. It can be used without the frame - you just need the plastic/aluminum "Pioneer" logo to fit in the empty holes in the front of the frame. I think it could be quite cool as you said john, to strip the aluminum and then perhaps even apply a very nice automotive type paint of any color one wishes - I'm thinking of the Porsche pallete. I currently re-drilled my former 505 table stand to play with the display while I await the correct stand.

·
Registered
925 Posts
seal gray, perhaps, leedle? or basalt black metallic?

yum!

:)

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just removed the frame. I will photograph and post on Yahoo. Too many photos of the old board, new board, old frame, new frame and some cool shots of the INSIDE of the card slot.

·
Registered
925 Posts
you da man!

awaiting url :)

doody.

·
Super Moderator
21,602 Posts
Eric- excellent photos- thank you

want to arrange a Power Sale of Urushi frames?

Mine has not shown up yet- I did order DVI board

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks for the effort Dr. Ericbee -

Looks exactly like the 503 after a sex change operation.

Is front screen glass or acrylic like??????

See my and Alexander's posts in Free's thread "I have my 503".

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
15 minutes after reading ericbee's post and seeing the pics, my Urishi is off, revealing a perfectly finished plasma with about 2" overall smaller HxW.

that frame is a hoax. Urishi my ass!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.