AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the ideal solution to plug my new plasma display into. Something that will keep it protected from all types of evil that comes through a power socket.

I also have two floorstanding klipsh speakers which will be hooked up as well through a hk receiver, and various game consoles/media players.

I checked out Monsters offerings, but figured they were over-hyped by themselves and way overpriced.

Should I get a battery backup IE APC or Tripp-Lite? If so, how many watts should I be aiming for?

I need to be educated on this power stuff

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
depends where you live and what kind of evils you get. (i am in northern nj)

i have two pios, combined age 3+ years, i use ordinary surge protectors (radio shack) and have had no problems even after several lightening storms. you should also make sure sure cable is properly grounded at at point where it enters your home.

there many posts in this issue and my read is most will tell you there is no need to spend hundreds on fancy power conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarynth /forum/post/15471711

I am looking for the ideal solution to plug my new plasma display into. Something that will keep it protected from all types of evil that comes through a power socket.

I also have two floorstanding klipsh speakers which will be hooked up as well through a hk receiver, and various game consoles/media players.

I checked out Monsters offerings, but figured they were over-hyped by themselves and way overpriced.

Should I get a battery backup IE APC or Tripp-Lite? If so, how many watts should I be aiming for?

I need to be educated on this power stuff

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in an apartment in Draper, UT. I have no clue how the quality of my power is, but it seems decent. I got the tv today and hooked it up to an APC surge protector. The only thing I'm worried about are dips in power if any, since a surge protector can't do much in that regard.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarynth /forum/post/15476933

I live in an apartment. I have no clue how the quality of my power is, but it seems decent. I got the tv today and hooked it up to an APC surge protector. The only thing I'm worried about are dips in power if any, since a surge protector can't do much in that regard.

Apartments are a mixed bag...sometimes they are wired to be relatively maintenance free for 20 years and other times that is where they cut corners on cost. You could ask one of the maintenance guys if each building has surge protection at the main box (and also the quality of the wiring) and if so then plugging directly to the wall should be okay. If the power is flakey in the area then you might want to invest in a decent UPS system...otherwise an ordinary surge protecting power strip would be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts