AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am extremely frustrated that my 2 year old took a letter opener to the screen on my new pro-1150hd
... No actual punctures but some pretty good deep scratches. Anyone out there a service tech that has replaced these before? In the past some RPTVs had a lens cover that was replaceable does this plasma have a replaceable item in front of the actual plasma glass?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Wow....That's terrible! Geez....I'm glad my & wife & I decided we weren't going to have kids! I would be beside myself! Sorry....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There must be a plastic anti-reflection coating on the glass. The way it got scratched it looked like what happens when plastic gets scratched. i.e. curly remnants.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wonder if you can claim that under home owners insurance?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankfully the TV is still watchable, when watching most programs you can barely even see it. Turn the TV off however and it almost makes me want to cry

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/12904649

Sorry to hear that. There are no covers on the glass. You will have to replace the entire glass unit, or purchase a new 1150.

Is the glass separate from the actual plasma screen?

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownhick /forum/post/12905781

Thankfully the TV is still watchable, when watching most programs you can barely even see it. Turn the TV off however and it almost makes me want to cry

I'm wall-mounting my panny plasma this weekend. After reading about your sad experience, I think I will be mounting it a few feet higher than I was originally planning... well out of the reach of any toddlers!

·
Registered
446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownhick /forum/post/12905226

There must be a plastic anti-reflection coating on the glass. The way it got scratched it looked like what happens when plastic gets scratched. i.e. curly remnants.

There is a plastic coating. The user manual says to use a soft cloth like the one provided with the set. It also says a hard cloth could cause scratches on surface. Also warns against using water or other liquid on the screen. Says "droplets can enter the system and cause malfunction".

I've used a micro fiber cloth on these types of surfaces in the past with good results.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike /forum/post/12909951

What's a 2 year old doing playing with a letter opener?

when i was two (maybe like 6) i played with letter openers, staple removers (thought they looked like sharks), and knives without my parents knowing... what was wrong with me

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownhick /forum/post/12903295

I am extremely frustrated that my 2 year old took a letter opener to the screen on my new pro-1150hd
... No actual punctures but some pretty good deep scratches. Anyone out there a service tech that has replaced these before? In the past some RPTVs had a lens cover that was replaceable does this plasma have a replaceable item in front of the actual plasma glass?

Just wait till the kid starts driving.
Consider that mishap a warning so be prepared for more to come

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike /forum/post/12909951

What's a 2 year old doing playing with a letter opener?

I'm laughing so HARD right now! This is one of the best one-liners in awhile! Revmike....You're too funny!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts